90 Corolla No ac condensor clutch engagement no condensor fan

I have a 1990 Corolla DX. The ac compressor will not come on. When I push the button on the dash, it lights up and the engine idle increases. I switch out all the relays from another working Corolla and check all the fuses. Still no compressor engagement. I can turn the compressor by hand. I also jumped the compressor directly to the battery and it engaged. I can see minimal amount of bubbles in the observation window when the clutch is engaged. When I jump the compressor, the condensor fan remains off. I disconnected the wire from the fan to the radiator sensor and jumped that but still no condensor fan.

I also disconnected the wires from the switches on the high and low side pipes. When I do this, the engine idle decreases. When I jump them, the idle increases again. Still, no condensor fan or compressor engagement.

Pressure on low side is 30 without the compressor on.

Any ideas what maybe wrong??? Please reply privately

If you recommend I check this or check that, kindly let me know the location of the item I should check.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wally C.

Reply to
ak151

With a meter or test light, see if there is power coming to the compressor clutch when the AC button is pushed in and the fan is anywhere but the off position. If you have power, then the connector to the compressor clutch is not making good contact.

If you don't have power, then you will need a factory service manual wiring diagram to properly diagnose.

Reply to
Ray O