90 toyota truck jerking and lunging

Hi all (first time poster), I need help with my 1990 2wd SR5 xcab 6cyl pickup. I'm sorry if this has been posted before but a search for the problem failed.

When starting in first gear from a stop, and to a lesser extent, moving into

2nd gear, the truck is jerking and bucking pretty badly. I've gotten used to it somewhat but my wife can't (refuses to) drive it anymore. Once first gear is engaged, it just lunges down the road unless you quickly upshift or push the clutch back in and try again. If I really gun the gas while I'm slipping the clutch I avoid the problem.

Any thoughts on the things I should investigate, and the order in which I should investigate them?

Thanks so much to those willing to offer advice.

Reply to
tipicanu

I had an old Chevy that used to do that...what caused it was that the rear main crankshaft seal was leaking oil and it was getting onto the clutch plate,,,this caused it to grab and jerk pretty badly. I was a young Airman with a big family and couldn't afford to fix it properly so about once a month I'd put the front wheels against a curb, put the gearshift into third and 'warm' the clutch plates up by 'slipping the clutch' for awhile. This would dry the oil off of the clutch and the car'd work like a champ for another month or so. I don't think that I ever did repair the rear seal and the clutch lasted for years...you could give this a try.

Reply to
Gord Beaman