91 Camry LE, Need advice re: testing and changing injectors

I have a 91 Camry LE with 190k miles. I have had problems with fairly high hydrocarbon levels when taking my emissions testing in the past and I suspect that it is leaking injectors or perhaps poorly spraying injectors. Anyway, with 190k miles on the car, I figure the injectors probably need inspection or, even, replacement.

I checked out how to remove and inspect the injectors in my shop manual and it looks like a pretty difficult procedure. Has anyone ever done this? How difficult was the procedure? Also, there are a number of parts shown in the manual that seem to be required for the testing procedure. Can these parts be obtained from the local parts house or hardware.... or, do I have to get them from Toyota.

I would appreciate any advice about this.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
Al Kondo

Besides hydrocarbons (HC), it would be helpful to have readings and limits for all of the tested gases in your state, like carbon monoxide (CO) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx). With the additional information, it is easier to identify potential causes and things to check out.

Before you go through the trouble to remove the fuel injectors, you may want to try either the Toyota brand stuff that Toyota dealers sell or Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner.

You can check on aftermarket part availability for your car at

.

Reply to
Ray O