91 Camry... Vibration problem when put into gear... help please

This post is a continuation of an earlier one with added information...

I have a 91 Camry LE with 187k miles. It has automatic transmission. Recently, I noticed that it vibrates noticeably when I put it into gear. The vibration is about the same whether I have the ac on or not. Also, the rpm's remain about the same.

The vibration is accompanied by a low rumbling sound when in gear. Both the vibration and rumbling sound disappear when I put it into neutral. Today I also discovered that the vibration is very much less when it is placed into neutral. I would appreciate some thoughts as to what this could be?

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

My first guess is one or more worn engine mounts.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

It sounds like you need transmission service of some sort.

You might get off easy with a fluid change, or you may need to have it opened up for more important service. I think I throw a few bucks at a fluid change before I did anything else.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I doubt if a transmission fluid change will affect the vibration.

When the AC is on, idle RPM should rise very slightly, about 100 or 200 RPM with the transmission in drive.

Have the engine idle speed checked in neutral and in drive to make sure that it is within specs.

As I suggested previously, check the engine and transmission mounts. I believe that those are fluid-filled mounts and the fluid may have hardened or leaked out.

Reply to
Ray O

I do to, but it only costs 50 bucks or so, and if it does fix the problem, then life's good.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I had a 93 with the same vibration but no rumbling sound. Toyota had a TSB which consisted or replacing motor mounts with softer ones, changing out some hoses and a few other things which I do not recall. It lessened the problem, but did not cure it.

Reply to
offen rong

Sounds like the 'idle up' circuit isn't operating when you select AC on...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

92-up Camrys are a totally different design than his 91, especially when it comes to motor mounts. Your design has a front mount that can break ~ 100k miles, his design has a side engine mount that compresses too much ~ 150k miles and causes a vibration. This mount problem was discussed in the OP's other improperly crossposted request for help.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I checked my auto trans fluid level and it is just fine. When I tried to check for my motor mounts, I found that my manual says I have something called a mounting insulator. How does this differ from motor mounts and how can I tell if they are bad?

Reply to
Al Kondo

As I mentioned before, automatic transmission fluid would not have anything to do with the vibrating you're experiencing.

A mounting insulator is another name for a motor mount. One of the master techs responded earlier with things to check, I did not save his response but I believe motor mounts were one of them. You may wish to contact your local Toyota dealer and see what they recommend.

Reply to
Ray O