91 corolla opinions

I need a cheap, reliable car and fast. I'm considering a 91 Corolla but know nothing about them except I love Toyotas. What should I look for when evaluating one of these? I just need it to last10,000 miles or so including several 500 mile trips without major problems, and I can get it for 500-600 bucks. I havent seen it yet and would like to know what to look for, or if I should look at all.

Reply to
Joe

If it runs well with no problems, nothing wrong with that deal. But I'd check it out real well, or pay a mechanic to do it, if you intend it to be reliable, and want to make long trips. See if you can find out the last time the timing belt was changed.. If it's due, or past due, that can be a quick $500 plus if you pay someone to do it. Fairly cheap if you can do it yourself though.. I always change the water pump at the same time, cuz they are usually in the same place around the timing belt area, and it's silly not to change the pump while you are in there. And you'll feel better on the highway knowing it's not likely to be seizing up any time soon. Might consider the oil seals too. Make sure it doesn't overheat, and check for any signs of head gasket problems. IE: milky white goo in the oil, whitish looking smoke, etc. Make sure it steers good, no clicking on turns, feels tight, etc.. Clicking on turns is a sure sign of worn CV joints.. Make sure the clutch/tranny is ok.. Brakes too.. If all is ok, 10k miles should be a piece of cake.. Might do 100k more with upkeep.. Those cars will last a long time if not abused. And it's not uncommon to get 200-300k on a toyota or honda engine if the oil is changed regular, never overheated, etc. MK

Reply to
nm5k

If your mechanic says OK then it may very well be. But I wonder if a junkyard will outbid you, seriously.

Reply to
johngdole

alas, somebody got to it before me and its gone...

Reply to
Joe

You snooze you lose!

That generation toyota, and I've had many are indestructable. I have yet to have one break down, and the only issue really is RUST at that age. After all you weren't paying a gold mine, hence you shouldn't have wasted your time asking questions, and just bought it.

Reply to
Devils Advocate