92 Corolla dies suddenly, won't restart for 5 days, then starts

Automatic with A/C. Runs fine, then after a trip of over ten minutes' length, dies suddenly if I come to a stop or slow down to less than about 10 mph (like going around a corner). Then won't restart....it will crank fine, but won't fire up. If I pull the positive clamp off the battery and ground it out, then reconnect the positive clamp to the battery terminal it will restart okay. Or, if I wait over about five days, it will restart, but the whole problem repeats itself after the car is driven for awhile.

I bought a code reader and I get no trouble codes at all.

Already replaced fuel filter.

I've looked all over the web, even bought a factory service manual, but without trouble codes I don't have much of a clue. I'm just hoping it isn't the ECU.

Anybody experience this fact pattern before?

Reply to
Derek A. Bill

A 1992 Corolla will have the TCCS system, which does not require a code reader to read codes. To read trouble codes, short terminals TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic check connector under the driver's side of the dashboard and count the flashes of the check engine light. Before you go through the trouble to short the terminals, if the check engine light is not illuminated, there will be no codes stored in the computer's memory. In other words, don't bother checking if the check engine light is not illuminated.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

An EGR valve that is stuck open or is opening during low engine RPM can make the engine stall. To check this, temporarily disconnect and plug the vacuum lines to the EGR valve and see if the problem goes away. If it does, try removing and cleaning out the black gunk inside the EGR valve. It is possible the EGR control valves are not working properly, but EGR buildup is more likely.

Check for cracks, holes, and leaks in the black plastic intake snorkel between the air filter housing and throttle body.

Check for vacuum leaks.

I don't know which air flow metering system the car has, but if it is the MAF type, try cleaning it with a shot of carb cleaner.

Check the idle air control valve to make sure it operates freely.

Check ignition base timing. By any chance, do you have any aftermarket ignition parts installed?

Check the cap and rotor.

Reply to
Ray O