93 Celica Seat Belt Locked (!!!!)

So my 1993 Celica GT had some problems with its front drivers seat belt. It was all loose and would not retract so i assumed it was shot. I went to the junkyard and found an exact match and the belt seemed to work and when i yanked it fast it would lock. The guy who took it off the car made the mistake of letting the belt go all the way into the mechanism and now it seems to be locked and will not let the belt loose. is there a way for me to get this working?

if not where is the best place to look for a replacement?

thanks AGP

Reply to
AGP

The best place to get a replacement if from a Toyota dealer. Seat belts that have been subjected to crash forces should be replaced, and there is probably a pretty good chance that the "donor" car at the junk yard ended up at the junk yard because it was crashed and totaled.

If your existing seat belt retracts slowly, try getting some 400 and 600 grit sand paper and gently sanding the shoulder guide for the seat belt where the belt passes through. The belt gets fuzzy over time, and the fuzz creates drag as the belt passes through the shoulder guide. A little 400 grit sand paper followed by 600 grit sand paper on the plastic guide will enlarge the opening so that the belt passes through more easily.

Reply to
Ray O

yes I understand about the belt having been subjected to crash forces. all im saying is that my informal testing showed that the seat belt still locked under a force. the belt is not getting stuck on any guide. ive already removed the entire assembly. it is locked inside the main mechanism.

the dealer is the place to look but $150 for a seat belt is way more than im willing to pay. there are cars at the junkyeard that are not crashed, ie they blew their motors, sold for scrap, or wahtever but I just need a replacement fast.

AGP

Reply to
AGP

If you are trying to release the replacement seat belt, try orienting it so that the part of the assembly that faces the rear of the car is down, then push the belt in and slowly pull it out, or use a stiff wire to release the locking pawl.

Take a close look at the stitching near the buckle to make sure the threads are not torn and that the "replace" tag is not sticking out near the label on the seat belt.

Or, try the sandpaper trick I described above on your old belt.

Reply to
Ray O