93 Corolla

I have a 1993 Corolla and I am having problems with the heat on the inside of the car. The radiator seems fine, there appears to be no leak and the hoses don't seem tight. I was thinking that it may be the thermostat but that did not solve the problem. Does anyone know anything else I can check before I take it to the dealer?

Reply to
baqi

It would be helpful if you provided a little more information, like what kind of problems you are having with the heat inside the car. It there too little heat? No heat? Too much heat?

When you say that the hoses don't seem tight, does that mean that they are loose?

You should check the heater control valve in the engine compartment to see if it is moving when you move the temperature control on the dash.

Reply to
Ray O

Whats the problem? No heat inside via the vents/HVAC?

Reply to
njmodi

For a 93, try your local garage first. You'll pay up to double the labour rate for the same service from a dealer.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

All simple stuff! Check to see if the heater valve is letting hot water through the heater core - do the heater hoses get hot?

Does the heater blower fan run? Try all the speed settings, if the speed control resistor pack has burned out (cheap part at the dealer) High speed will be all you have. This can also be a blown fuse, worn out fan motor, bad switch in the heater control cluster.

A known fault in some models is a bad solder joint to the switch in the heater control cluster. If you can get the fan to come on for a few seconds by wiggling the switch, that's the problem - pop the control cluster out and get a soldering iron.

Do the damper doors switch to the right positions to send heat out the floor ducts? On most Toyotas they are cable operated, others have vacuum motors or electric motors. Grab a flashlight, lay on your back in the passenger-side doorway and stick your head in the passenger footwell as someone operates the control levers, you'll see and hear the damper doors operating.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman