93 Corolla: Clock is wacked out, how hard is it to repair or replace?

All of a sudden, the clock no longer functions correctly. It acts as if someone is holding down the H (hour) button all the time. No other problems noticed with the car (radio is fine, dome light is fine). I did press the H button with no change.

Googling AAT newsgroup, I could only find one other person with a similar problem, but his was temporary.

1) Is a repair possible? I am guessing unlikeley. 2) Is it possible to find a replacement at a reasonable cost? My guess is a junkyard is my best/only chance. 3) How hard is it to pull the dash apart and replace the clock? How much would I expect to pay a shop to do it for me (the last time I pulled a dash I cracked the whole thing while trying to remove it)?

Thanks!

Reply to
franklin.bowen

That was me. Turns out some dirt had gotten into the contacts and the battery was a bit low. (Car hadn't been driven in 2 months, I'd broken my hip.)

That reminds me, I need to go out and start my car today. (Can't drive it for 2 more weeks, quadruple bypass.)

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Well, Charles, You're just a vision of health, eh? ;) At least you're still with us!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Junkyard is the best bet, and if it's one where you can pull your own parts, a good way to find out how it installs! I'm not familiar with your model; they used to (in the 70's and '80's) just snap into the dash, and, likewise, unsnap...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well I'm bouncing back from the bypass pretty good, too. They don't want me messing up my chest for a month afterward.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Take it easy and follow the doctor's instructions. I understand Scion xB is very popular with "mature" drivers. It was really easy to get in and out, and the seats are very comfortable. I would have bought one if it had more power and a better AC unit - not that I need the easy access :-). I understand these are coming soon.

Reply to
ma_twain

I got around a similar issue by attaching a cheap digital wrist watch to the steering wheel. The installation was very easy (I used the obvious method) and inexpensive. I found out the hard way, in my younger days, that any work requiring the removal (actually the re-installation) of the dashboard was better left to professionals. Hopefully you can just pull the clock out, if not think outside the box and get an inexpensive watch.

Reply to
ma_twain

Hell, I ain't that mature. I won't be 48 until October. Besides, I've spent all my money on the doctors, can't afford a new car, so I just keep driving the Corolla.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

I used to strap mine around the rear-view...

Reply to
hachiroku

Thanks for the replies. Although I would really like to repair/replace the clock, if it ends up being too hard or expensive, I might actually take the watch suggestions! If I could only remember to wear my watch on my wrist regularly, the Corolla clock would not matter. :-D

Reply to
franklin.bowen

Find a cheapo digital watch for $5 or less and velcro it to the dash.

Reply to
Repo Man

Clock has been repaired! YAY! :-)

Pulling the center console was alot easier than I thought it would be. Just pulled a couple phillips screws from the lower center console section (may not have even been necessary), pulled off the fan control "knobs", and then just pulled hard but carefully on the center console area and it popped out. Disconnected the electrical connecters and then access to the clock was easy.

Opened up the clock and the contact pad & button for H (hour) were corroded. Also one of the little wires under it had folded over so the clock saw it as someone just holding down the button continuously. I cleaned up the area with contact cleaner and straightened out the wire. If it fails again in the near future I will probably just try to pull/find one from used auto parts.

Thanks for all the input!

Reply to
franklin.bowen

Thanks for reporting your results! Not many people do.

Reply to
Ray O