93 Corolla IGNITION Switch Replacement

Symptoms of an intermittent ignition switch presently exist on my wife's car. The battery, which was five year old TOYOTA product, was just replaced.

Is an iginition switch replacement a DIY task ? What special tools are required?

Regards, de Vince

Reply to
Vince

A screw driver. Once you get the cover off, you'll see how easy it is. It's been a few years since I had to do mine, so I don't remember.

One thing you might like to do: an entire lock kit cost me $125 (in 1991) and a whole 2.5 hours to change all the locks, so you can either do this, or have the new ignition cylinder set by a locksmith to match your key (about $35)

Reply to
Hachiroku

What symptoms of an intermittent ignition switch exist on your wife's car? If the car has an intermittent no-start condition, then I would check the contacts in the starter solenoid before I replaced the ignition switch.

Whether ignition switch replacement is a DIY task of not depends on the skill level of the DIY-er. You should be able to change it with a Phillips screwdriver and 10 mm socket wrench.

Reply to
Ray O

I was able to jump start the 93 Corolla twice using my 91 Camry. The engine continued to run until I had shut it down. The engine would not restart . The battery was last replaced in DEC 2001; a Toyota product.

Had a DieHard installed at local Sears today, who also (AFAIK) did a system checkout after the new battery was installed.

When attempting to start engine to leave the Sears shop, engine would not start. Mechanic said that he noticed that problem when moving car from one bay to another. (Apparently, the old battery took some recharge while it was driven about ten miles from home to Sears shop.)

Thus, I am now faced with the suspicion that the ignition switch is failing. The Alternator was also replaced in 2001 DEC, and shortly thereafter the starter motor was replaced (MAY 2002).

Ray: Is there a simple method to diagnose the ignition switch contacts? Is a relay involved also?

Regards, de V>

Reply to
Vince

The symptoms you are describing do not sound like ignition switch contacts, and I have seen very few ignition switches go bad in Toyotas. A more common problem is worn starter solenoid contacts, and I would check them before I started messing with the ignition switch contacts. Here is a link that shows symptoms, diagnosis, and repair:

The model is different but the principles are the same.

Reply to
Ray O

Indeed, it was a starter motor malfunction.

I am in no condition to be working under a vehicle. A rebuilt installed yesterday. Hopefully, this one will last more than five years !

Today, my wife panicked, thinking that the car would not start. A jiggle on the steering wheel enabled me to turn the ignition key to the ON position.

Thanks for your inputs.

Regards, de Vince

Reply to
Vince

You're welcome! If the remanufactured starter was from a Toyota dealer, it should last a pretty long time.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray:

I am not clear on terminology. Is there any distinction between remanufactured and rebuilt? Please define these terms for me.

The unit that was being replaced yesterday was from a Toyota dealership, and it was installed during May 2002. That unit was referred to as being a "rebuilt" unit at that time.

The shop's original price quote included non-Toyota product. They originally quoted us$385 which includes us$85 for labor. I was quoted us$206 minus $30 core discount, before sales tax, for over the counter parts from a local Toyota dealership. Thus, the shop was directed to use a Toyota product. ( Total cost to me was us$287. )

To me, five years is not a pretty long time !

Reply to
Vince

In a remanufactured starter from Toyota, only the outer case is re-used. Some rebuilders replace only bad parts or wear parts like brushes, slip rings, and bearings.

Five years is not a long time to me either. A fairly common problem with Toyota starters is worn solenoid contacts. The solenoid comes with the starter, so replacing the starter with a remanufactured one from Toyota would get you a new solenoid. The "guts" of the starter may be OK and just the contacts on the solenoid may be bad. If an independent shop is doing the repair work for you, ask them if they would check the solenoid contacts and replace just the contacts if necessary. Replacement contacts are available for under $30, and the process probably doubles the labor time over just removing the old starter and installing a new one. So, double your labor charge ($85 x 2 = $170), plus $30 for parts, and you would be out the door for around $200. If you did the work yourself, you would be out the door for around $30 and a couple of hours labor.

Reply to
Ray O

I also inquired from the Toyota Parts guy about a repair kit. He quoted me us$99 for a kit that included the contacts, so I did not go down that path. For all I know the shop did a repair of the original and charged me for a rebuilt unit replacement.

Thanks for >

Reply to
Vince