93 Geo Starter... or Solenoid... or Relay?

First appologies if this is the wrong place to ask about the Corolla knockoff that is the Geo Prism.

93 Prism, few weeks ago began not starting on the first turn of the key. Now it sometimes takes up to 10 tries, but other times works on the first try.

In searches, there seems to be a common problem with starter solenoid contacts, however everyone mentions a "CLICK!" sound as if it were fairly loud. Mine doesn't seem to do that, or at least not loudly. It's a fairly quiet failure - almost like what would happen if the starter were locked out by not being in park or neutral.

Do these things have a relay somewhere or is it straight from keyswitch to the starter solenoid? Where is the "logic" of the interlock implemented?

Anyone know on the '93 what is in the way of removing the starter? I've heard the air filter for the '94, and the oil filter some more recent ones.

Does the geo use the same starter as the toyota, or is it some Delco thingy?

Thanks for any suggestions (newsgroup replies preffered)

Reply to
cs_posting

Almost certainly starter contacts.

Its pretty quiet unless your head is under the hood..

I believe you don't have to remove the air filter, but it makes the job a lot easier. The starter is low on the right drivers side of the engine.

Its two bolts that you have tight access to from the top that hold it in. You remove a wire clip and a bolted on wire from the bottom and pull it out. If you want to save time get those ratcheting box wrenches. I think its

10mm, but its been a few years. A socket wrench won't fit and you only have enough room to turn a box wrench 1/8 of a turn.

The US/Canadian Toyotas of that vintage have the same Delco crap as the Geos. A Denso should work in either as well. I just got a rebuilt Delco from Autozone, but probably should have just replaced the contacts as the contacts in the "rebuilt" one went the next year and I had to replace it again (under lifetime warranty).

Reply to
someone

Oh, allright, you win.

After I jiggled some things it had quieted down and was starting fine on the first key turn for a week or so. But then it rapidly got really bad.

Took it all apart this evening. Erroded contacts as expected. Walked all over town trying to find some copper pipe to cut up or something for a new contact, but everything was closed.

Finally, um, bent the contact up a little bit and deburred it. Put it back on, seems to work for a few more starts. Hopefully it will get me to the airport tomorrow AM, and from airport to parts store in the evening...

In terms of getting the starter out of the car, it took a few tries to squeeze it up and out behind the manifold, but it can be done. Of course with my luck I'll be unable to find contact, have to get a replacement starter, and the replacement won't fit through that passage... Helped a bit to have a second shorter ratchet handle, a 1" extension, and put screwdriver handle on 14mm socket once things were loose - no universal joints required, though I did have to remove a sheet metal bracket holding some hoses.

Reply to
cs_posting

Picked up a duralast at autozone... went to put it on and noticed the original starter with worn contacts is a Denso. Now I really wish I'd found a contact rebuild kit.

The duralast will start the car, but it takes about twice as long. Not sure if that is because the motor is cheap, or because the new contacts (I inspected them and they are new, no gasket in the cover unfortunately) haven't worn in to full contact yet.

Starting to wonder if it's worth eating the $45 core charge to keep and rebuild the Denso as a spare... even with warranty replacements on the Duralast and knowing I can put one on in about a half hour.

(Denso starter on a Geo - that can't be original equipment, right?)

Reply to
cs_posting

The replacement starter may have a bigger reduction than the OEM one so it has to crank more.

As far as rebuilding the Denso starter, you can probably get away with just changing the starter contacts.

I suspect that the Duralast will not last very long; keep the Denso and put in new contacts.

Reply to
Ray O