'94 4Runner woes...serious woes.

My '94 SR5 4Runner window will not roll down!

I had this problem when I first got the truck 4 years ago. I fixed it by replacing the rear-window drive motor and the rear-window ECU relays.

The strange thing is that it will roll up...just not down. I'm pretty good with mechanics and electronics, but this has me baffled. Here are the facts:

  1. The rear-window rolls up perfectly. No resistance since the mech assy. is clean and well lubricated.
  2. It does not roll down.
  3. When I try to roll it down from the rear door key or the front control I can hear a relay click from the rear-window ECU.
  4. I've replaced the rear-window ECU with a known good one. Nothing.
  5. I've verified the drive motor spins in both directions by removing and testing it.
  6. I beat my head against the bumper and cried...nothing.

If anyone has any ideas please offer them up because I'm close to losing my marbles.

Cheers,

Richard.

magnu @ telus . net (no spaces)

Reply to
RZF

Is the relay part of the ECU or can it be replaced seperately ? Is the relay bad ?

Are the relays part of the ECU or can they be replaced seperately ?

OK. Get a multimeter and a wiring digram. Disconnect the wiring to the window motor and check for power and ground, at the connector, as you operate the switch. Power and ground should swap wires from window up vs. window down. Find out what is missing (power/ ground) when the window won't go down and follow the wiring back until you find the problem.

Reply to
Mike

I also had troubles with the rear window but it was related to RUST and the lock mechanism.

-SP

RZF wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete