94 Corolla intermittent stalls

Have a 94 Toyota corolla with a 1.8l Engine. I decided to be good to my daughter and tune her car, since the mechanic wanted $600 for cap rotor plugs and wires. I put the parts in and now it does a neat trick. As you are driving down the road the engine check light comes on for less than a second, the engine is in a stall condition. If it occurs at a light the engine dies, and must be restarted. THe engine always starts and runs fairly well. Yesterday I replaced the wires and looked under the cap to ensure nothing mechanical was happening. It ran fine till she got about 20 miles down the road and it did it a couple times, then in her town it died at the light and "popped" about 3 more times. For doing a simple parts replace this is beginning to get expensive, two mechanics have looked at it and cant figure it out. One removed the condenser in the distributor and that helped for about a mile.

Any ideas.

If I still had the old parts I would put them back in.

One more thing we cleaned the battery cables, replaced air filter and PCV valve, and replaced a leaking valve cover gasket. The wire to the alternator was over the valve cover gasket and it got a little stretched but not broke. The distributor cap is a little unusual as it has 5mm wires and a clip to hold the wires in and no coil wire.

THanks.

Reply to
tomavery

"tomavery" wrote: > Have a 94 Toyota corolla with a 1.8l Engine. I decided to be > good to my daughter and tune her car, since the mechanic > wanted $600 for cap rotor plugs and wires. I put the parts in > and now it does a neat trick. As you are driving down the > road the engine check light comes on for less than a second, > the engine is in a stall condition. If it occurs at a light > the engine dies, and must be restarted. THe engine always > starts and runs fairly well. Yesterday I replaced the wires > and looked under the cap to ensure nothing mechanical was > happening. It ran fine till she got about 20 miles down the > road and it did it a couple times, then in her town it died at > the light and "popped" about 3 more times. For doing a simple > parts replace this is beginning to get expensive, two > mechanics have looked at it and cant figure it out. One > removed the condenser in the distributor and that helped for > about a mile. > > Any ideas. > > If I still had the old parts I would put them back in. > > One more thing we cleaned the battery cables, replaced air > filter and PCV valve, and replaced a leaking valve cover > gasket. The wire to the alternator was over the valve cover > gasket and it got a little stretched but not broke. The > distributor cap is a little unusual as it has 5mm wires and a > clip to hold the wires in and no coil wire. > > THanks.

I intend to look at it again this weekend, any suggestions?

The car would is driveable but i dont feel comfortable with her driving it due to the stalling at lights. This could occur during a need for acceleration and leave her waiting to get hit. With her off to college she can stay off the roads most of the week.

Thanks Guys!

Reply to
tomavery

As usual, my first thought here is to look for displaced vacuum hoses. You also mentioned 'condensor'. Isn't this a FI engine with electronic ign???

Did you use Toyota parts? The only time I have ever had a problem doing a tune up on a Toy was using aftermarket parts. They are better now than the last time I used them, but I still stick w/Toyota parts.

Reply to
hachiroku

"tomavery" wrote: > I intend to look at it again this weekend, any suggestions? > > The car would is driveable but i dont feel comfortable with > her driving it due to the stalling at lights. This could > occur during a need for acceleration and leave her waiting to > get hit. With her off to college she can stay off the roads > most of the week. > > Thanks Guys!

I just had my Distributor Cap and Rotor replaced on a 94 Toyota Corolla 1.6L.

Then it worked for a while and started to die at idle and again and again. Had to nurse it home after 12 starts Acted just like it was flooding out or was not getting spark. :roll:

Reliable mechanics tell me it needs a new Distributor. Cost: $525/labor incl.

I would LOVE to find out if something else could cause this.

It starts fine, esp. after sitting for a while. Then gets worse.

Anything else a shadetree mechanic can check or replace? Or is the Distributor the only culprit?

Reply to
justice

"hachiroku" wrote: > On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:09:17 -0400, tomavery wrote: > > > "tomavery" wrote: >  > > Have a 94 Toyota corolla with a 1.8l Engine. I > decided to be >  > > good to my daughter and tune her car, since the > mechanic >  > > wanted $600 for cap rotor plugs and wires. I put > the parts in >  > > and now it does a neat trick. As you are driving > down the >  > > road the engine check light comes on for less than > a second, >  > > the engine is in a stall condition. If it occurs > at a light >  > > the engine dies, and must be restarted. THe engine > always >  > > starts and runs fairly well. Yesterday I replaced > the wires >  > > and looked under the cap to ensure nothing > mechanical was >  > > happening. It ran fine till she got about 20 miles > down the >  > > road and it did it a couple times, then in her town > it died at >  > > the light and "popped" about 3 more times. For > doing a simple >  > > parts replace this is beginning to get expensive, > two >  > > mechanics have looked at it and cant figure it out. > One >  > > removed the condenser in the distributor and that > helped for >  > > about a mile. >  > > >  > > Any ideas. >  > > >  > > If I still had the old parts I would put them back > in. >  > > >  > > One more thing we cleaned the battery cables, > replaced air >  > > filter and PCV valve, and replaced a leaking valve > cover >  > > gasket. The wire to the alternator was over the > valve cover >  > > gasket and it got a little stretched but not broke. > The >  > > distributor cap is a little unusual as it has 5mm > wires and a >  > > clip to hold the wires in and no coil wire. >  > > >  > > THanks. > > > > I intend to look at it again this weekend, any suggestions? > > > > The car would is driveable but i dont feel comfortable with > her > > driving it due to the stalling at lights. This could occur > during a > > need for acceleration and leave her waiting to get hit. > With her off > > to college she can stay off the roads most of the week. > > > > Thanks Guys! > > As usual, my first thought here is to look for displaced > vacuum hoses. You > also mentioned 'condensor'. Isn't this a FI engine with > electronic ign??? > > Did you use Toyota parts? The only time I have ever had a > problem doing a > tune up on a Toy was using aftermarket parts. They are better > now than the > last time I used them, but I still stick w/Toyota parts.

Yes it is fuel injected and electronic ignition, but the guy handed me the part back. It was inside the ditributor under the rotor. It had a hole in the goo that is congealed on the side of the condenser by the wire.

My neighbor tried to replace the fuel filter being a good guy and bent the tubes, he couldnt get the bottom hose off. Sigh... now it has to go back to my mechanic. I couldnt budge the bolts either, but i certainly would have quit after seeing damage occuring

Reply to
tomavery

"tomavery" wrote: > Yes it is fuel injected and electronic ignition, but the guy > handed me the part back. It was inside the ditributor under > the rotor. It had a hole in the goo that is congealed on the > side of the condenser by the wire. > > My neighbor tried to replace the fuel filter being a good guy > and bent the tubes, he couldnt get the bottom hose off. > Sigh... now it has to go back to my mechanic. I couldnt budge > the bolts either, but i certainly would have quit after seeing > damage occuring

Further, took it to another mechanic shop, they replaced the fuel filter for $160 and swore it didnt hesitate any more. Drove it 10 miles jerking and flashing engine light again. Anyone have any ideas. I am so afraid to take it to the dealer but i may have to. The performance is bad compared to what it used to be.

tomavery

The part you are describing sounds like the igniter. A bad igniter usually results in no spark/start, not intermittent stalls.

Toyota fuel filters are usually very tight and difficult to remove. Flare nut wrenches are usually needed here.

If you are getting a flashing engine light, has someone checked for trouble codes? Are the spark plugs, distributor cap, ignition wires, and rotor OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket, try replacing with OEM parts.

Reply to
Ray O