94 Corolla: lights on dash board and shift went off

All the lights on the dash board (except the left and right "turn light") couldn't be turned on, also the lights on the shift. I took out the dash board and checked the lights on the back of the circuit board. They looked good to me. Should I check the fuse? If so, which fuse to check? Is it the fuse named "guage"?

Thanks. Jason

Reply to
Jason

You're putting us on, right?!

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Actually, the fuse marked guage, I think, controls the guages themselves (I don't remember...in all the time I've been 'modifying' Corolla wiring for stereos, custom lights, alarms, wtc, it's the only one I HAVEN'T blown!)

My bet is if it isn't a fuse, which would be very good for you, it is a connector that has come loose behind the cluster. Since you have the cluster out already, look for a loose wire in a connector.

I suppose I should have done this in my Mom's car two years ago, but removing the dash cluster is such a PAIN!

Reply to
hachiroku

That's what I meant...I can't imagine taking that dash apart rather than just looking for a fuse...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Or before checking the fuse, turning the dash light dimmer knob.

Here's the order I would have used,

1) Turn the dimmer knob 2) Check lighting and gauge fuses 3) Check the dimmer knob rheostat 4) Check for loose connections at the rheostat 5) Check the cluster
Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote: snip

Yep...agree...