95 Corolla Motor Mount

Hello all. I'm doing my 1st clutch replacement and have run into a little trouble. I've taken off most of the components according to the Haynes Repair Manual and am up to the point where I need to remove the rear motor mount. The book just says to see the illustration which shows the bolts/nuts on the underside of the cross member and center support member. If only it were that easy. After removing the bolts/nuts, the rear motor mount is still sandwiched between the transaxle, the body of the car, and the cross member. It seems as if the only way its coming out is to move the engine (with the transaxle) a few inches toward the front of the car. But Im not sure how to go about that. Or am I overlooking the obvious? If it were that difficult, I would think the manual would devote more than 1 sentence to this step. Anyone done this before on a 95 corolla (manual tranny). Thanks.

Reply to
maremski

I believe that the engine support cross member has to come out, and when you remove the cross member, the rear engine mount will come out with it.

Reply to
Ray O

PDFtown.com has factory manuals for some cars.

Here's a broken bottom engine mount for a 1986, viewed from above:

The photos show the two bolts at the front but not the two on the bottom that attach to the cross member that runs from front to back. If your engine is mount is similar, you can replace it by removing its bottom bolts and jacking up the engine a bit to remove the other bolts. I don't remember where I located the jack, but use a 2 x 6 if you place it under the oil pan.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly