'96 Avalon Audio question

After sitting for about 3 weeks, the radio in my '96 Avalon doesn't power on. I know that the "contstant power" wire is working fine (the CD player will eject the cassette). I removed the head unit, and found no voltage at the "switched power" wire, which explains why the radio doesn't turn on. The 15A fuse in the cabin checks out fine, as does the RAD FAN 15A fuse under the hood. Does anyone know where the switched-power wire leads to from the harness? For some reason might it run through the factory amplifier, which would cause the no-power situation if the amp is dead? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

-Andy

Reply to
Andrew M.

The free Autozone repair guide online doesn't show the radio schematics. But there should be a radio fuse (not the radiator fan fuse you pulled). The fuse may also link to the cigarette lighter nearby. So check that first.

Maybe it's call the 15A CIG? 20A Radio #1? 5A Radio #2?

Anyone?

Reply to
johngdole

I definitely checked the under-dash fuse first. It checks out fine, and the cigarette lighter socket has 12v. I have the factory repair manual, but it doesn't have specific wiring diagrams (only flowcharts).

Reply to
Andrew M.

Were the fuses Radio#1 and Radio#2? Since the Avalon is a Camry clone, do look for the two Radio #1 and #2 fuses, the 20A and 5A as mentioned.

Reply to
johngdole

Just want to make sure: the RAD FAN fuse you check is the radiator fan fuse, it's in a completely different circuit.

Reply to
johngdole

I've heard of this before, but short of replacing the radio itself I can't think of what else had been suggested. I think there is a soldered in fuse inside the radio itself, IIRC it looks like a resistor but has no stripes; I think it's green. You'll have to remove the cover and get at the ckt board with an ohmmeter.

United Radio makes a LOT of money repairing Toy radios. Every Toy I've owned but one has needed a new radio, usually during the warranty period.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The under-hood fuse I checked was "RAD FAN" and was 15A, as was the in-dash CIG/RADIO fuse. I didn't see a 5A fuse, but I'll check tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Reply to
Andrew M.

How did you check the fuses? Did you use a continuity or volt meter?

Check for power at the harness at the back of the radio. If there is power, the radio is bad. If there is no power, then check the wiring harness for damage. Are there any aftermarket components installed like a security system, aftermarket audio components, etc?

Reply to
Ray O

(this is the original poster from a different computer)

I checked for continuity across the fuses (both were 15A) and they checked out fine. There is no voltage at the key-on/acc wire at the back of the radio, but there IS 12V at the constant-power wire. I really want to find a wiring diagram so I can trace that wire to its source. If for some strange reason it runs through the factory amplifier before it gets to the head unit, I'll know where to check next. When this weather clears, I'm going to check for acc. voltage at the amplifier.

Reply to
Donkey.McDonkerson

OK...I located a wiring diagram, and it seems my suspicions were correct: power to the radio DOES in fact go through the amplifier. I have the wire color codes, and will check for acc. power at the amplifier, and if it's sending acc. power out to the radio. There's also a junction block between the dashboard radio fuse and the amplifier for the acc. power wire, so I'll check that as well.

Reply to
Donkey.McDonkerson