96 Avalon: Doors keep unlocking

Hello,

On our 96 Avalon, when I use the door lock button/rocker switch on the interior of the door (both driver and passenger side) to lock the door all doors, the doors immediately unlock.

If I continuously hold down the button/rocker in the lock position, the door locks try to snap to unlock position at one second intervals.

I can't figure this out. I want to be able to lock the doors from the inside!

Does anyone have advice or experience on this?

Regards, Allan

Reply to
allan.young

If the key is in the ignition, the door lock module will not allow the doors to be locked from the inside to prevent locking the keys in the car.

If the doors unlock even with the key out of the ignition, then there is a problem with the ignition switch - either the switch is not completely in the off and locked position, or the switch that senses the presence of a key may be faulty. I would suspect that the key detector switch is bad if someone has a heavy key chain because a heavy key chain puts a big load on the switch.

Reply to
Ray O

This may be normal if the car 'thinks' there is a key in the ignition and a door is open.

Reply to
Mordak

to be locked from the inside to prevent locking the

-- snip -- snip --

LOL, I hate to admit it but one time I spent about 10 minutes trying to lock my car (thinking something was broken too) at a shopping center before I noticed the key was still in the ignition.

Reply to
Danny G.

Been there, done that too! ;-)

Reply to