96 Corolla ignition stiffness problem?

I noticed a few weeks ago. That when I put the key in the ignition. There was some stifness to turning the key. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning and insert the key. I try to turn the ignition on, sometimes the car won't turn on after the 1st start. It usually starts the 2nd time I turn the key. Is the stiffness in the ignition and the delay in the car coming on connected? When the car doesn't come on, this only happens in the morning.

Reply to
henree21

The stiffness in the movement of the key and the delay in starting are not related.

Spray some graphite lubricant in the ignition lock to free up movement. Also, it helps to relieve pressure on the lock by turning the steering wheel slightly.

I do not know what you mean by 'delay' in starting. If the engine is cranking but not starting, then you should have the car properly diagnosed by a competent technician who can evaluate the ignition and fuel system.

if the engine does not crank, then you should have the starter contacts inspected.

if the engine cranks slowly, then you should have the battery checked.

Reply to
Ray O