96 geo prizm, not always starting/cranking

96 geo prizm, 140K Sometimes when starting I turn the key and the starter/engine does not crank at all. I hear some slight buzzing but that's it. If I turn the key back and then try again it starts without any hesitation. I cleaned the battery terminals. Any idea what could be wrong or to look at first ?

Thanks.

Reply to
RT

I am NOT an expert, but recently had this problem with a 97 Camry with similar mileage. Turned out that there was a flat spot on the armature of the starter, and it required replacing the starter. sorry. But your problem may be different (and cheaper).

Reply to
mack

If you are hearing buzzing from under the hood and it starts the very next try and this only happens occasionally, you probably need a new starter. Before you replace the starter, check the condition of the starter relay contacts - they have a tendency to burn out and you can replace the contacts without having to replace the entire starter.

Reply to
Ray O

I don't know if the 96' has the same engine as the 95', but on the 95', it was a bitch getting the starter off the back of the engine.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Not sure. The manual I have says I can get to it by just removing the air plenum from the airbox to the intake. Should be right under it. Was that the location yours was at ?

Reply to
RT

The relay is on the starter ?

Reply to
RT

I think so.

Reply to
Ray O

Okay, I finally had some time to check the car out. I removed the airfilter/box to get to the starter. I can't see it under the airbox so it must be somewhere else ! Anyone help me out where to find it ? According to the haynes manual it is under the airbox and accessible after removing the airbox. I am thinking that is incorrect. So, where is it ? Do I have to be under the car to reach it ?

This is on a 96 geo prizm with the 1.6 motor

Thanks

Reply to
RT

You must be really busy if your first post was in August and you're just not getting around to taking a look at the starter!

The starter will be mounted on the engine block where the block meets the transmission. There should be 2 thick cables attached to the positive terminal of the battery. One will lead to the alternator and the other will lead to the starter.

Reply to
Ray O

Quite busy. Thankfully I have another car I can use.

ok, thanks. Which side of the block is the starter on ? Is it (like the manual said ) on the drivers side ?

Reply to
RT

I took another look. The cables coming from the positive terminal of the battery are all wrapped together in plastic piping. I do see a cable go down almost right below the battery and it is connected to something with a big connector. On the front of this 'something' I see a handle with a cable attached to it. This seems like the transmission cable ? Am I close ?

Thanks again.

Reply to
RT

Which side of the car is the "driver" and which is the "passenger" side will depend on whether the car is left-hand or right-hand drive.

With the hood (bonnet) open and while facing towards the rear of the car, the starter should be towards the right side of the engine, towards the bottom. The starter is roughly cylindrical in shape, will have a thick cable attached along with some thinner wires. If you can read the label, it may even say "starter

Reply to
Ray O

oops, sorry. This is a US car. I think I spotted the starter it is behind the engine. Between the engine and the cabin, way under the intake manifold. It's going to be hard to get to, I can't even see which bolts I need to take out to get it out....

Reply to
RT

The starter is probably easier to get at from underneath the car. Use ramps or jackstands when working under the car, never ever get under the car supported only by the jack!

Reply to
Ray O

Well, I let the dealer to do the job. 230 bucks. I know I probably could have fixed it myself if I really tried for a LOT less money but I didn't have the time. They also quoted me 500 bucks for replacing the left and right motor mounts... ouch. I said no, I will do that some time myself, one at a time. Should have more time soon. Anyone have a good address for the mounts ?

Reply to
RT

oh and I forgot. Thanks again for your wonderful help, Ray.

Reply to
RT

You're welcome! I'm glad you got the car fixed.

Reply to
Ray O