96 toyota corrola high speed vibration

I have a 96 toyota corrola (automatic transmission) thats developing a pretty bad high speed vibration. It's a well used car 313,500 miles. I've tracked down the problem to the passenger side drive axle. About

30,000 miles back this axle failed and I replaced it. When I get under the car I have excessive play on that axle but the play is coming from the spline going into the transfer case or transmission case. There is also a transmission fluid spray indication on the undercarriage pointing to the same area. I cant find any information in the factory manual to replace this bearing and seal. On the older rear wheel drive cars you could pull the driveshaft and replace what was called a pilot bearing and seal, no big deal. What im being told is that on this car to replace that bearing the transmission must be pulled and rebuilt. The car is great and the engine tight(ran mobil 1 faithfully from 10,000 miles and changed transmission fluid on a scheduled basis) but a transmission rebuild probably would not be worth it. Can someone tell me if this bearing can be replaced without pulling the transmission. Thanks, Tom
Reply to
tom