97, 98, 99 Avalon suspension?

I'm interested in getting one these cars but the new Consumer Reports indicates that these years have suspension problems and 97 got a black circle and 98, 99 got half black. Black means more that 14.8 % had suspension problems and half black more than 9.8 %. The rest of the trouble spots are quite good. Does anyone have any facts and experience as to the nature of the suspension problems and their repair costs? Are there any other problems to consider that CR might have overlooked? Thanks

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Henry Kolesnik wrote the following on 3/27/2005 10:07 AM:

Front strut mounts (top) had an issue causing a rattle under certain conditions...the part was redesigned...I had them replaced on my '98 for $170 out the door. Dealers (at least at the time I had it done) were authorized to do this repair for about half of what they would normally charge, for customer goodwill.

That's the only issue I've had. Had this repair done at about 30K...I have 62K on it now.

tom418

Make sure you like the ride. It is more like a Buick then a Toyota. Quality wise it is more like a Buick too unfortunately despite what Consumer Report survey says.

Reply to
Art

I really like the Buick Regal and have tried out several, but I don't think they'll last as long and for as many miles as a Toyota. I wonder what kind of mileage one can expect out of an Avalon before having major problems and expense? I've seen Hondas with 250,000 miles, no major problems, and a couple of 94 Lexus LS 400 with over 300,000 miles each that didn't have any major problems. But I can't find anyone with a high mileage Avalon. Anyone got that would care to describe the problems and costs of going to 250,000 miles outside of normal wear like tires, battery, brakes, etc. tnx

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

I got 130,000 plus on my '97 and the only major was the 02 sensor. I replaced the wrong one and that ran the cost up. Other than that no majors or surprises....

Reply to
Da Ghost

Did replacing the right one work? A friend with a 2000 got a check engine light, spent a couple hundred for the O2 sensor and after a day or 2 the check engine light was back on. Paid for the other one same results. Lease was almost up so gave up on it. He disliked the car intensely. Just like my 2001.

Reply to
Art

We had a 98 Avalon that we traded for an 02.

The strut rattle was about the only thing I can ever remember being annoyed with.

The 02 just generally seems better all around but just a feeling.

Neither the 98 or 02 had decent OE tires. Replaced the 98 at 20k and the 02 Dunlop's at under 13k. Michelins made all the difference in the world.

Ron

Reply to
ron

My 2001 Avalon came with Michelin MX4 plus energy tires. It ate thru the fronts in less than 20k miles because it was out of alignment. Roads are relatively good here and this is the first car that has given me a front end problem in 25 years.

Reply to
Art

Art wrote: :: Make sure you like the ride. It is more like a Buick then a Toyota. :: Quality wise it is more like a Buick too unfortunately despite what :: Consumer Report survey says.

Check the usual sources. You'll find the Buick Regal very highly regarded.

Reply to
FanJet

Yes compared to most GM products but still not quite up to normal Toyota standards.

Reply to
Art

the 02 had Dunlops that Toyota replaced at about 10k because they couldn't get balanced. We rotated them to rear a few months later and same trouble - went to Costco bought the MXV-4s and they've around 30k on themnow. Handle/ride better that the Dumlops did new!

I also pulled the Duelers off my Highlander and went to cross-terrains - they are better with 25k on them than the Bridgestone's were new also.

My wife was complaining of the Dunlap's hydroplaning at under 10k miles by the way - never a peep from her with the MXV-4's

We have some of the original concrete pavement on I-5 that was installed in the 60's! Though most has been overlaid with asphalt. Ah these California freeways!

Ron

Reply to
ron

Have you even tried one?

Reply to
FanJet

I haven't owned a GM product since the squared off Malibu with the plastic transmission (governor gear) that failed me on a trip to my parents on the Long Island expressway.

But I have been keeping an eye on the Buicks repair record in Consumer Reports which is what we are talking about. Plus I have rented plenty. It is interesting that Buick repair records are superior to other GM products.

Reply to
Art

Art wrote the following on 3/29/2005 9:55 PM:

What year was that Malibu with the plastic governor gear?

I had a 1990 Buick Reatta with less than 10K miles on it when the tranny failed on the highway and then wouldn't shift out of first gear after that.

Dealer "repaired" it under warranty...it failed again on a highway at night. Had to limp home in first gear.

Dealer installed remanufactured tranny. I sold the car, quickly.

Does this sound like the governor gear problem?

The super-charged Regal, in particular, is a certainly a match for the Avalon. Of course it's gone now.

Reply to
FanJet