97 Camry Tail lights

I have a 1997 Camry and i have a problem i'm sure someone can clarify for me. My tail lights are out. The bulbs are fine, the fuse is fine, and the light indicator never turned on, on my dash. but the lights are out. All the other lights are just fine. I assume that a connection is loose or a wire cut somewhere, but that's just my rough guess.

any thoughts?

Reply to
Pete Y

There's a wiring harness around the hinge that holds the wires. Look around there for a broken wire. Another place to look is you might have a shared ground between the lights that has broken. These are the easy checks you can do quickly. Otherwise you will need electronics background and a multimeter to go much farther.

Reply to
badgolferman

That's exactly it. You'll have to try to troubleshoot what went haywire along the way. Is anything else not working, like the turn signals or anything else (reverse lights, etc...)

Japanese cars have this neat little feature. If the fuse blows for the taillights, the dash lights go off as well. Are the dash lights on when you turn on the headlights? If not, the problem is somewhere in the fuseblock. If they do come on, then start tracing wires. The wiring is in the rocker panel. accessible by removing the sill covers in the door jambs. I would get a meter, determine which color wire goes to the taillights and trace it back from there. I don't believe there is an interim connector anywhere, but I've been wrong once or twice before. That's why I asked if any other lights weren't working back there.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku