97 toyota camry, tail lights and break lights not working

I have a 1997 Toyota Camry, and my tail lights and reverse lights are not working.

About a month ago my Tail light indicator came on in the dash, and I noticed that part of my tail lights were out. When attempting to replace the bulbs for the tail lights I was a little ruff and broke the bulbs off in the sockets. Consequently that blew my tail light fuse under the dash. I replaced that fuse and all of the bulbs, but then the tail lights and reverse lights still didn't come on. All of the other lights work fine (break,turn signals,hazards,lic.plate lights)

The side tail lights work, but none of the ones on the rear of the vehicle.

I have not tested the tail light relay because I was unable to locate it, but after reading another post earlier found out that it might be located behind the carburetor. I plan on checking that out tomorrow.

any thoughts?

Reply to
lukestevendyer

Use a volt meter or test light to see if you get 12 volts at the bulb sockets. If you have 12 volts there, then the relay is good. The relay will be in one of the fuse boxes, either under the driver's side of the dashboard or in the engine compartment. Your car does not have a carburetor, so don't waste your time looking for one.

Check the bulb sockets to make sure you have not damaged any of the contacts in the socket or the wires connected to the sockets.

Check the ground wires to make sure they are securely attached to the ground points. Any easy way to do this is to check for continuity between the socket's negative contact and the car's ground. Siince you have so many inoperative lights, this is the most likely scenario, along with a damaged wire harness.

Make sure you used the correct bulb number and that the bulbs are good by checking continuity between the bulb terminals.

Reply to
Ray O

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:24803b74-3736-4797-bb8d- snipped-for-privacy@z19g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

How much corrosion was in the sockets?

Did the bulbs break because you couldn't turn them in order to release them from their sockets?

Reply to
Tegger