'99 Camry

My daughter called me, nervous as can be, and said she was in the emergency lane because her steering wheel was shaking uncontrollably from 55 and up. I said to take it easy and I would look at it when she got to my house. To make a long story short I took it out for a spin and sure enough the faster I went above 55 the more it shook. At some point I expected it to smooth out but nope. I laid on the ground and looked up underneath and didn't see anything unusual. I couldn't jack up the car because it's just not safe right now to do so.

Her friend showed up in her Saturn and she had the same problem a day or two ago. Exact same problem. Saturn told her it's not uncommon for this problem when many days in a row are below freezing. Well, I looked again and still didn't see anything unusual.

Reply to
mark digital©

parklights

Check for snow or ice stuck in one or more of the wheels.

Check to make sure no wheel weights were recently lost (you may see a clean spot on the wheel where the weight used to be).

Check for bulges in the tread or sidewall from a broken belt.

If none of that produces any obvious problems, try replacing the tires with the spare, starting with the front wheels to identify the problem tire(s).

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
mack

Saying the steering wheel shook is really inaccurate. It wobbled clock wise and counter clockwise beginning around 55 and REALLY wobbled the faster I made the car go. I remember feeling a little bit of a wobble and for a short time when cornering at about 35. But I didn't feel it through the steering wheel. It could be I'm not familiar with her car. You know what I mean? I stood outside in front of her car and had her drive towards me. Neither front tire had any wobble. I kicked the tires. They seemed to have a bit more play than what I would expect. Does it sound like a wheel bearing problem? She said the brakes were done about 6 months ago.

Reply to
mark digital©

The stuff I listed can all cause the steering wheel to wobble or shake pretty severely. Also, the problem could also be caused by loose lug nuts or a problem with the rack ends or ball joints.

Other than the ice or snow stuck in the wheel, all the other possible causes are safety-related. I would start by swapping out front wheel at a time and see if the problem goes away.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

I agree with Ray, probably a tire problem. But, it could also be shocks. Also, you said it didn't seem to be coming -through- the wheel, so I'd open up the trunk and take a look at the shock mounts (in the front, also...)

A lot of things can make this happen...try City Tire on Wilb. Road...they always trated me very well there.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Everyone's comments are appreciated. I received a call from my daughter and all is well. Yesterday's temperature was apparently warm enough to thaw what ever it was causing the problem. I just wish I knew where the bulk of the ice or snow was hiding because I looked everywhere and didn't see any. I suggested to her if it happens again to use a electric pad set on *low* to gently thaw out underneath. I stressed not to use anything flammable.

Reply to
mark digital©

If you park in deep snow or slush and turn the steering wheel, it is possible for the snow or slush to get pushed into the inside of the wheel or between the decorative spokes or wheel openings. When the temperature drops, it freezes, and when you consider that wheel balance weights are generally under an ounce or two, a 3 or 4 ounce hunk of ice will make a huge difference in wheel balance. The same thing can happen when driving through mud or clay. In order to see the buildup, you either have to remove the wheel or turn the wheel to the outside and crawl underneath or use an inspection mirror with a long handle.

Reply to
Ray O

Sounds to me I could have sent her to a car wash and taken care of the problem for just a few dollars. I'll mention this next time I talk with her. Thanks.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

Might be built up ice somewhere on the wheel or disc, or even the axles.

Reply to
Paul Elliot