99 Camry - steering wheel shudder/tie rod?

My 99 Camry-LE 4cyl was driving perfectly until a recent mechanic visit. The mechanic said that in order to pass inspection I needed to replace both L & R tie rods. He made the repairs including an alignment. This is a new mechanic for me as I recently moved, however a different mechanic also warned me about one of the tie-rods last year.

Now (after the repair) at highway speeds > 60MPH there is a shudder in the steering wheel (which was not there before). There is also an intermittent squeak or chirp sound whose period is proportional to speed. When the squeak is present the period ranges from about 1 second to many times a second (as speed increases). The squeak goes away for minutes at a time, and when it is sqeaking, pressing the brake (even just barely) makes it stop. There may also be a very slight (almost unnoticeable) drift to the right (which may be within spec).

I took the car back to same mechanic once already and he balanced the tires (and of course charged me for this). He claimed to have test drove the car and said that there was no shudder or squeak (after the balance). However when I drove the car (unforunately after the garage was closed for the weekend) the shudder was still there and so is the squeak.

From what I understand mis-aligment can cause a shudder. I have no idea about

the squeak. My two questions are: 1) what are some likely causes of the problem(s)? 2) What should I say to the mechanic (with appropriate technical evidence) that will convince him that his recent work is the cause of these problems?

Reply to
nearly_blind

I would take it to a wheel/brake shop I trusted and have them have a look at it.

A couple of things here:

The wheels got replaced on the wrong side of the car A wheel weight fell off The brake backing plate got knocked loose

Only removing a wheel and having a good look, and having the wheel balance checked might yield more clues.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Noises and vibrations are difficult to diagnose without experiencing them first-hand.

Mis-alignment can cause a shudder but other possible causes are an out-of-balance wheel; tire problem like a broken belt or tread problem; improperly torqued lug nuts (which can warp the rotor; improperly mounted wheel (rust or debris between the wheel-rotor interface can make the wheel wobble; and bad or improperly installed rack ends (sometimes called tie rods). If the rack end is not properly secured to the rack, you can get a shudder, and if it is moving, it could also cause a squeak. Bad CV joints can also cause a shudder and squeal but the noises and shuddering are generally more pronounced when turning than when going straight.

The squeak can come from the wear warning indicator on the brake pads. The wear warning indicator is a flat piece of metal that comes in contact with the rotor as the pad wears and makes a squeak or metal-to-metal sound. The nature of the sound usually changes when the brakes are applied.

At this point, I would take someone from the shop that did the work on your car for a road test so that you can point out the noise and shudder. If they refuse or are unable to repair the problem, I would take the car to a shop that employs ASE certified technicians, preferably one that is also AAA certified, or your local dealer.

Reply to
Ray O

Don't waste your time and money on him. He is either a crook or he doesn't know what he's doing. Talk to your co-workers and neighbors to find out who they recommend.

I live by the philosophy of "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me."

Jack

Reply to
Must be Me