99 Solara v6 5 speed

Hi, I've got a rattle coming from the engine bay that goes away when I push in my clutch. Its getting pretty loud? Is this something I should really be concerned about? Also, will worn struts cause a lot of play in my steering wheel? Thanks in advance!!

Reply to
John Michael

I would bring it some place you trust, and very soon. Worst cases: CV joints are about to give up totally, or the Rack and Pinion is going bad, possible an inner tie rod end. If it separates, you lose steering ability...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Assuminng that the rattle occurs in neutral with the car stopped, apply the parking brake, chock the wheels, open the hood, and with a long screwdriver, place the tip around the engine and transmission and listen to the handle and to see where the rattle is coming from. Make sure you stay away from the cooling fan blades and accessory drive belts!

Without hearing the rattle, it is hard to diagnose but possibilities are the catalytic converter heat shield and wire harnesses/cables touching sheet metal or plastic. If it is a heat shield, tap it with a hammer just hard enough to put a dimple in the shield so it doesn't act like a diaphram. If it is a wire harness or cable rattling against something, use a plastic zip tie to reposition the wire/cable.

Worn struts will not cause a lot of play in the steering wheel. Worn struts will make the front end sag and/or wallow when hitting bumps. Play in the steering wheel could be caused by worn or damaged rack ends or improper pinion preload on the steering rack. Pinion preload is generally accomplished with a crush sleeve so they do not get loose unless the rack and/or pinion is severely worn, which will not happen before the rack ends wear out.

Reply to
Ray O

The rattle sounds like a worn release bearing in the bell housing - you described it perfectly. Whether or not it requires attention depends on how loud it is. Have a technician listen to it.

Reply to
qslim