A/C Compressor seals

I'm told by my mechanic that my A/C compreesor in my 1987 Celica is working fine but has blown seals. He thinks the cost of a new compressor is prohibitive but says that he cannot find a seal kit. We will be hunting the wrecking yards, but I think we would just be replacing defective parts with defective parts. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, as well as thoughts on R134-A conversion.

Reply to
Edna Krabapple

Check with a Toyota dealer to see if they can order a compressor rebuild kit for you. Next choice is a new AC compressor but that will be pretty pricey for an 18 year old vehicle. The problem with a wrecking yard compressor is that the seals will probably be dried out if it has been sitting around. You might try an auto parts store to see if they sell a universal compressor.

At this point, recharging with R-12 will be cost prohibitive (at least in the U.S.) so the R-134A conversion will be the less expensive option.

Reply to
Ray O

Eskimo woman goes into a repair garage in the summer and says, My AC isn't working. The guy opens the hood, put the guages on it, runs a couple checks and says, "Blown Seal?"

The woman wipes her mouth and says, "No, mayonnaise from lunch!"

Sorry, drummer told me this last night and I couldn't resist!

Reply to
Hachiroku

"" wrote: > I'm told by my mechanic that my A/C compreesor in my 1987 > Celica is working > fine but has blown seals. He thinks the cost of a new > compressor is > prohibitive but says that he cannot find a seal kit. We will > be hunting > the wrecking yards, but I think we would just be replacing > defective parts > with defective parts. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, > as well as > thoughts on R134-A conversion.

Stay away from dealer when price shoping for a new compressor, you will get skinned. Nothing qrong with a bone yard compressor if you can find one without too many miles and better yet on a system that still holds some charge and it has not been uncovered in the weather.

On charge, I would stay away for R134 converstion if you use a rebuilt of used compressor because R134 operates at a higher pressure than R12 at any given temp which increases compressor strain on a system design for R12. Also, R134 does not cool as well in a R12 system. Some do okay but I tried it once on a Toyota as a experiment several years ago and I was not pleased with the results. It did not cool as well and while the sar had a compressor that had a little noise in it with R12, it was a lot worse with R134 in it because of higher pressures. THere are a few alternatives to R12 out there besides R134 and I would use them in a system designed for R12 efore I would use R134 in them. (As a side note, R134 is also not compatable with R12 oil so you have to add oil to system, and in effect overcharge it with oil to add a specail oil to bind to R12 oil and R134 to circulate properly)

Reply to
SnoMan

SnoMan wrote in news:1_628713 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Thankyou for taking the time to help enlighten me. You mention that there are alternatives to R134; could you possibly embelish on this? Also, my A/C ran pretty good until I put it on "MaxAir"for some time. Does MaxAir put more of a strain on the compressor? I have found a compressor in a wrecking yard that still had some charge to it. However, the car was an '89 Celica and mine is an '87. Would they use the same part? The engine looks a little different.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
Edna Krabapple