A/C problem

2003 4 cyl Camry My a/c has been powering off (compressor lights start to blink) I took it to the neighborhood shop and they could not figure it out everything seemed in order (no charge) . I'm afraid of what the toyota shop might charge so any Ideas on what is the problem is appreciated os I don't go there & get blindsided.

Thanks

Reply to
HELLO

The blinking light means the compressor failed to start when the system called for A/C, most likely a bad compressor relay on such a new car, which is what my 2003 Camry needed. This was not too expensive, about $112 to fix it and $86 to diagnose it. In the worse case it is a bad compressor, middle case is a loss of R134 so the low pressure switch cut out the compressor. If it is a low gas condition make sure they find and fix the leak (for your sake and the environment).

Reply to
ferd berford

Actually, the blinking light means that the compressor RPM sensor detected a different compressor RPM from the engine RPM. To re-energize the compressor, turn the AC button off and then back on. If you heard a belt squeal just before the light started flashing, the belt slipped and the system shut down. Even if you did not hear a belt squeal, check AC compressor drive belt tension - with the engine OFF, you should not be able to depress the belt more than about an inch. If you can depress the belt more than an inch, it got stretched out over time or the adjustment slipped. Check the condition of the compressor drive belt. It should not be glazed or cracked on the underside.

If the system needs a refrigerant charge, you would not get a flashing AC light, the compressor would just not engage. An easy way to check refrigerant charge is to look at the sight glass on the receiver drier in front of the radiator. The receiver drier is s cylinder with steel lines going into and out of the top. With the AC on, it should look like water is flowing past the glass. If you see foam or nothing, the system needs recharging.

Reply to
Ray O

There was a TSB covering this year for the A/C magnetic clutch relay P/N

90987-02022. Called for replacing with a -02028. Part number is printed on the side of the relay.
Reply to
toyomoho

I wonder if I paid for a relay (and diagnostics) that was not needed..... A Toyota dealer wouldn't do that would they? Thanks for the information, I was going on what the service manager told me and a little bit of knowledge about the low pressure switch.

Reply to
ferd berford

There is a technical service bulletin (TSB) # EL011-05 regarding the A/C light flashing due to issues with the magnetic clutch relay. It is possible that is the cause if the belt is OK.

Reply to
Ray O