A Jaguar for Precious

Have you seen those TV commercials for Jaguar? They are Slick, slick--wow--really slick.

They are so good, I can't help but turn my head and watch them whenever they come on.

It sounds like actor Willem Dafoe's voice is used in the background (actor in "Platoon" and "The Last Temptation of Christ").

A commercial like that makes you really want a Jaguar, doesn't it? In my case, I know there's no way I can afford it, and let's face it, the reliability and mechanical quality is probably better at Toyota.

I guess Toyota doesn't need super slick commercials to sell cars...

Reply to
Built_Well

Hi Group,

I took early retirement in 1990 age 59. For the 8 years prior I had 2 1600cc MR2s. Wonderful, never put a spanner near them but for maintance.

I got my payout from 38 years of private pension.

RIGHT I will have my JAG.

Could not stretch to a new one but a 2 year old 38k miles maintained by my local Jaguar main dealer and for sale at my Main Jag dealership. Jaguar 3.6 litre XJS auto in light blue. WOW. delivered with full tank of fuel and a big bunch of flowers for the wife.

For the next 10 weeks we broke down in more places than I can remember. one when the internal oil cooler in the radiator for the Auto box took a leak. Higher pressure water went into the Gearbox and torque converter. It was replaced under warranty. Comment from JAG main dealer " we are not sure this is covered" I never even looked at him. Cost was £3000. It just went from bad to worse. My wife and I had been married at that point 42 years, It was near divorce I tell you.

I drove into Jag Showroom on the Sat morning 10 weeks after purchase we reckoned they had it in there repair shop 4/5 weeks of that,

Gave them the Keys and made some rude suggestion.

They agreed to let me choose another car from the lot. All were Jags or Rovers.

I said I would settle for another MR2, by now it was the 2Ltr model. They done a deal with local Toyota dealer where I had purchased my prior 3 MR2s from. It was 1 year old..11k miles.

Jag pointed out I had no warranty from them at all. It still had 2 years of Toyotas warrantee. It was nice to tell Jag I did not think I needed any cover from Jag.

Had the MR2 3 years no problems. Bought a new CAMRY 1995 4 cyl 2.2 ltr Auto I still have it 77K miles on clock. What can I say. Its been PERFECT. But I still pass the Jag dealer and kind of oogle. The reps look at me hoping I wont come in to buy again.

So thats my experiance. In passing the Jag went back on the forcourt at £3000 more than I paid for it. Marked new gearbox/converter fitted. God at 38k miles what an admission.

Merry Xmas

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune 15 years ago. Thank goodness that happened in 1990, before Ford bought Jaguar. At least Ford can't be blamed for that one....

Does anybody know: In terms of reliablity and mechanical quality, has Ford helped Jaguar or hurt it

Reply to
Built_Well

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that it certainly has not helped. Ford also owns Mazda and Volvo, and the reliability of both has gone downhill since Ford bought them.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Some questions; and I mean them sincerely: Has the reliability actually gone down? Or has the reliability not gotten as much better as the competition?

What I mean is, are those brands less reliable than they used to be, or are they more reliable, but not as reliable compared to the other brands out there (like Toyota)? It makes a difference . . . .

Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

Built_Well wrote: snip

I'm guessing by what I've seen on Motorweek & Car & Driver but it has gotten better. I've seen a couple shows where they pointed out improvements in quality, how much I'm not positive. Also, in the last 15 years, Ford's quality has improved, like Chevy and Chryco, so due to that I think it would be fair to assume Jaguar has improved as well. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I don't know about Mazda but in the case of Volvo, you must carefully consider all aspects of the quality issue.

Volvos prior to 1995 or so were fairly simple affairs. SOHC 4-banger in most, turbo'ed in some, RWD. Lots of room in the engine compartment. Some had I-6 engines. They were building a durable but simple car in a straightforward way.

They were wonderful autos. I've owned three. However, your basic Volvo had a 114hp engine. It handled well and, thanks to its sharp turning radius, it was very easy to park. Due to the simple layout, they were also pretty easy to fix.

But they aren't bullet-proof. Not by any means.

Fast-forward to today... The new Volvos have FWD or AWD, transverse DOHC I-5 engines, some with a lot of boost. There's more useable interior room, more gadgets, more ... stuff. They look completely unlike the Volvos of 1990 and I'm sure they've got a dramatically higher part count.

If they're not quite as reliable as the old Volvos, it wouldn't be a big surprise but it's a much more contemporary car. I'd give Ford something of a break on this.

Reply to
dh

I know someone who runs an independent Jaquar repair shop and he says that recent Jaquars are about as reliable as recent Fords, but which he means, the reliability is acceptable, but not up to Toyota standards.

Clearly, Jaquar reliability is much better than it was in about 25 years ago.

But also note, that Consumer Reports is of the opinion that the current reliability of European cars (mainly German) is not as good as American cars.

So make of that what you will.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

I had a Jaguar XK8 for a couple of years up to '99. It was the best built car I have ever owned. Totally reliable over the time I had it.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Who told you that, your Toyota dealer? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Do a search, their is all kinds of evidence that those companies, bought by Ford, Volvo, Rover , Aston Martin etc. have all increased in build quality and reliability.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually no, only a small percentage of Toyotas sold in the US are made in the US. The only Toyota vehicles that are made in the US and have a '1' as the first digit of the VIN are those made in the GM/Toyota plant in California. That is the only union represented Toyota plant building vehicles in the US. The UAW contract requires at least 70% American made parts. ALL of Toyotas other assemble plant in the US only assemble cars of imported parts.. Vehicles like the current Camry and Tundra have a '5' as the first number of the VIN, indicating the vehicle is only assembled the US of less than 40% American parts. Honda is the only foreign manufacture to assemble vehicles in the US of the 70% American parts necessary to qualify for a '1.'

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Don't get me wrong--I hate asking questions about Ford's quality, especially since it's an American company. I hope it offers superb quality, and skirts bankruptcy.

By the way, my father has always bought American, and never considered "foreign" companies. But now that so many Toyotas are built in America, can we say Toyota is a foreign car company?

I do think Ford is a good car company, just not as good as Toyota. So I must buy Toyota again.

Reply to
Built_Well

Um... Ford bought only the Land Rover marque.

IIRC BMW bought the automobile arm of Rover and then sold it to independent investors who went belly-up when a deal to sell MG-Rover to a Chinese automotive company couldn't be concluded and the British gov't refused more loans. It's been a tough time for poor ol' Coventry.

Brent

Reply to
Brent Secombe

Please don't feed the trolls.