a new power steering pump and rack

My 93 v6 camry has had a power steering leak for some time now. I keep fluid in it and I haven't really worried about it until I had an oil change recently and the mechanic said that I need to get the power steering pump and rack replaced. He has quoted me $450 for the maintenence. Yikes! Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money at the moment. I asked him what I can do until I can afford the fix- he said simply to keep an eye on the fluid and come back as soon as possible.

As I said, I've been driving my car with this problem for some time now. My question is this: has any other system perhaps been damaged by this leak and the occasional low fluid? I've never had the power steering fail- the worst that's happened is a scrape-y sound when I turn the wheel. Am I putting other parts of the engine at risk in delaying any further?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
lee.ellen.thornton

I don't believe so...worst case I can see is that the pump may seize, make a HELL of a racket as the belt keeps moving along the frozen pulley...

Then again, I drove a Celica for three years with a leaky High Pressure hose. I just kept it full (every 3-5 days) and drove the car. My Supra has the same problem. Try to avoid the squealing sound that indicates the fluid is running low.

The person who owned the Celica before me didn't keep the fluid full, and it did ruin the rack. This CAN be hazardous by wearing the inner tie rod end out, which can cause a major failure. Just keep it full.

Reply to
Hachiroku