A victory for the Eco-Freaks! No, wait, that's a defeat for the Eco-Freaks, no, ...

The Audubon Society has done a study and found that there will be a minimal to no effect on the bird population in Nantucket Sound if a proposed Wind Turbine farm is erected there.

It was first proposed years ago, and was fought by the NIMBYs in a long, hard battle that finally decried the loss of the majority of the bird population in the Sound.

So, what will their next salvo in the battle be?

These Earthy-Crunchies really crack me up. They scream about reducing our dependance on Foreign Oil, but when presented with a solution, it's No Good.

Their first salvo was that it will wreck the natural beauty of the area. The "WHO CARES" was deafening.

Then, the Bird ploy was brought up. Today the Audubon Society said "What Brid population devastation?"

It will be interesting to see what they come up with next.

You just can't win with these people!

Reply to
Hachiroku

You just want to spoil Kennedy's view. There are no nimbys in Hyannis. I know thats true, I read on the web. Ron

Reply to
n877

The Audubon Society has obviously figured out that birds are smart enough to flap away from a big stationary windmill that has moving arms. If birds were that dumb to be hitting windmills they would be crashing into each other all the time.

Most of the Earth Crunchies are pretty solidly in favor of wind farms. Also, when power companies offer a choice of spending a bit more on "green" power as an option, I think you will find the Earth Crunchies are more likely to put their money where their mouths are and choose the green power.

That of course does not mean that some of the really rabid Earth Crunchies are simply against cars, period, and are hoping the oil runs out and that there is no vehicle substitute merely so that everyone will be forced onto bicycles.

I also think the NIMBYers have quite a number that are not at all in the Earth Crunchie camp and are merely using "green" arguments against it because they can't find anything else.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

They also wanted to put a few of them up on a very large hillside in Heath, MA to thw west of Greenfield. Same arguements. It will spoil the view, it will kill birds.

Nah, these people are just k00ks. They scream and holler about alternative energy, but when presented with the choices, they don't really want anything. Not many of the Environmentalist Wackos around here are in favor of anything. There are TWO people I know that truly shun anything that uses electricity.

One of them is an Electrical Engineer...

There would be three, but the third one has a Biodiesel setup and plays electric guitar...

I'd put up windmills all over thae place. Free power? (Well, minus the cost of the windmills of course) More gas for me!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Imagine how the NIMBYers will go nuts where they want to install a comply new hydrogen distribution system throughout the county or guess what will happen when the oil companies try to build more refineries ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

A lot of what you say is good and true. There are two things you missed:

I *LIVE* in Massachusetts and know about all of this first hand.

The Earthy Crunchies I know don't really want ANY progress. At all. None. Period. I live in one of the most Liberal, Eco-Minded areas of the United States. These people are rabid in their beliefs, to the point that they make Rush Limbaugh look like a choirboy. NOTHING is good! Windmills are an eyesore. Coal and oil pollute. Nuclear is the way to weapons. Solar is ok. That's it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

We get that in the UK with wind farms. When it gts to court over the planning, you have the environmentalists for the wind farm, and the conservationists against it. And when law and order breaks down it is knitted muesli cardigans and home cultured sandals everywhere.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Don't worry. The intent is to share the pain and change some minds.

Reply to
mark_digital

Hey, an OT post in an OT post!

Man, what the hell is going ON down there? Every Sunday I get up at 7 and turn on WWLP. And always, the first story I see is, "There was a shooting last night in the ------ section of........"

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think it has something to do with WWLP's relatively new location and conquest for ratings. OK? mark_

Reply to
mark_digital

So, they're the ones going out and doing the shooting?!?!?!

I mean, a shooting at a BABY SHOWER?!?!?!

Man, it looks to me like it's getting harsh down there.

Already 7 murders, and about a dozen more shootings?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think it may have something to do with the price of fuel. The mayhem is concentrated instead of spread out. OK? mark_

Reply to
mark_digital