A140E Transmission Knocking & Smoking

The transmission on my 1997 Camry with 120,000 miles stopped going forward after a short period of slipping into 1st. I could have driven around the neighborhood in reverse though. I decided to rebuild it myself I always wanted to learn about transmissions! I must be gluten for punishment. Found the forward clutch assembly all burned up so I replaced all the steel plates, clutches, and gaskets. Also had to replace some pressure plates or flanges. Soaked everything and reassembled as per instruction did compression test along the way and made sure things turned and didn't turn when suppose to.

What I didn't do is check the torque converter (it stayed on the engine and looked o.k.) and the pump seemed to turn with some resistance. I get everything reassembled start the engine up and get a terrible knocking/clicking sound from the transmission and then smoke up from the area of the converter. Turn the car off and said ?!@#%^**#$?.

Now at this point I'm thinking the oil pump was bad and has gone to worse or the converter is bad. Let me add... the tranny went back on the engine smoothly there was no forcing of anything and it tightened up nicely. But maybe the converter was not positioned correctly or something.

I know what your thinking? where is the question? Before I dive back into taken the tranny off is there any possibility that this might be an adjustment issue? Or is there something else I should consider?

Any helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated. Living and Learning the hands on way?

PS. Yes- I put fluid in both the dif & trns. But I like the way you think!

Reply to
ShadeTree

Before you took the transmission apart, you did do stall, pressure, and solenoid checks of the transmission, right???? Refer to those pressure readings to see if the pump is good or bad.

Yes, it is possible that the converter was not positioned properly. I don't remember the exact sequence, but the hub and the slots in the TC sleeve to have to be aligned a specific way.

I believe that the only adjustments are for the shift linkage.

Most likely, the TC did not engage the front pump properly. Hopefully, nothing got too chewed up in there. Unfortunately, the transmission has to come back out to find out what is going on.

Also, next time, if you are going to go through all the trouble of removing the transmission and opening it up, I would take the extra 1/2 hour and inspect the torque converter

Reply to
Ray O

You said the torque converter stayed on the engine. I'm thinking that when you reinstalled the tranny, the TC did not engage the front pump. The torque converter needs to be installed into the tranny first (to properly engage the pump) then attached the tranny to engine and attached the bolts to flex-plate and torque converter.

Reply to
Dennis Leong

Thanks for the input.. I did take the transmissision off and could see where the TC did not engage into the slots on the pump. ( I wouldn't of thought the tranny and engine would of meshed together.) Lessoned learned the hard way. The only damage I see and feel is roughed metal on the TC neck and some metal particals on the pump seal.

I was planning on taken the pump out and giving it a good cleaning in mineral spirts and giving the TC a good cleaning. I don't believe the pump circulated fluid because it wasn't engaged into the TC. Some else I spoke with said this being my first tranny to deal with I'd be lucky to get 5000 miles out it.. I'm hoping for better.

Dennis Le>You said the torque converter stayed on the engine. I'm thinking that when

Reply to
ShadeTree via CarKB.com

If you got metal particles on the pump seal and gouged the TC neck, I would definitely change out the fluid in the transmission oil pan after you have driven the vehicle for about 100 miles.

Reply to
Ray O

If the TC neck is gouged or has nicks it may destroy the seal and your tranny will leak like crazy. You may need a new TC. Beware.

Reply to
Dennis Leong