about the wireless internet

aparently verizon fios has it built into there system and all i had to do was get the pass word to sign in...

Reply to
GoMavs

It's (wireless) built into the router they give you. But you don't have to use the wireless router with fios if you don't want to.

Reply to
Mark A

yeah

What do you mean? Why would I not use it?

Reply to
GoMavs

I am not suggesting that you shouldn't use it.

You said wireless is built into fios. No, fios is a technology like DSL, Cable, etc that is used to transmit the internet to your home. The wireless is not built into fios. The wireless is built into the particular router (as an extra feature) that they used to connect fios to your computers via hardware. They could have used a regular (non-wireless) router and you would still have fios. Or you could use a regular non-wireless router at the entry point of the fios router with wireless capability with the wireless turned off) and install your own wireless router inside your home.

Reply to
Mark A

Yeah, I was being general. I mean the router that they supply.

Reply to
GoMavs

Yeah, you can sort of read about the Fios system on WikiPedia (I say sort, because it is not easy reading).

There are three parts to the Fios (which is why they say three colors or three frequencies or something like that), one for TV signal, one for incoming internet and one for outgoing internet. PPV comes over the incoming internet and commands go out over the outgoing internet.

You should so not that you don't get wireless internet, just wired internet. You still have to get a wireless router to get the wireless part (and connect it to the wired internet).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, if you don't have any wireless devices, like wireless laptops.

If all the computers you have are wired desktops, you don't want to use the wireless, to make it harder for people to break in.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeah, I don't keep anything personal on my laptop...

Reply to
GoMavs

Is that why the call it an "impersonal computer?"

Someone who breaks into the computer can later use it to send out spam and do other nasty things.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What can I do to protect myself from that?

Reply to
GoMavs

Hi GoMavs. I am a Verizon FiOS Network Technician. The router you are supplied is an Actiontec brand with MoCA capability built into it. If you have video service with us you will need that router or a special MoCA Network Interface Modelue (NIM) will be needed for your SetTopBoxes to receive Widgets, VOD, clock, IPG. Chances are pretty good you will need that router anyway because it is probably hooked up to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) outside your house by coax and not by ethernet cord.

The router does have built in wireless capability with 40/64 bit WEP or

128 bit security. Personally I like MAC filtering for my wireless router also. In any case if you want more information regarding FiOS write back to this thread or e-mail me.
Reply to
badgolferman

One possibility: You don't yet have enough knowledge to secure a wireless connection, and you need time to read about it.

Another: Your computer never leaves the desk, and the modem's a foot away.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Get a good firewall. Zone Alarm is my favoriate. Whenever a program tries to access the internet, it won't let it through until you give it permission. This is a little annoying, but much better than the Windows firewall, which only prevents traffic from coming in, but doesn't do a thing to prevent unwanted traffic out.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

For programs you always trust, you can tell ZoneAlarm to not nag you after the first time it asks.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why is it that they sometimes call them WiFi and WLan?

Reply to
EdV

No idea.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

http://17.149.160.10/

Reply to
witfal

A good router, configured properly, has a hardware firewall. Hardware firewalls are superior to software.

Reply to
witfal

I only use WEP key and no MAC filtering. I disabled my 2Wire DSL modem WEP a few days and found 3 computers already using my connection.

Reply to
EdV

I second that about hardware firewalls. To check out your system for vulnerability go here:

Follow instructions.

Reply to
dbu`