about the wireless internet

Hardware firewalls are really software firewalls that run on a computer, which is in the router.

They, too, can be hacked.

The best protection is to have both types of software firewalls: Those that run on your computer and those that run on the computer in the router.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I have not found anyone yet to breach a router (hardware) firewall.

Reply to
dbu`

Not exactly. It's properly called "firmware".

It can certainly be re-flashed, as has been done by me on various routers over the years.

As you wish, but another poster did point out

Steve Gibson gives a great resource as to whether or not your PC is even visible on the Net.

Personally, I've always found software firewalls to be a pain. A good enterprise quality router is the best defense.

Reply to
witfal

Gee, most of us don't buy "enterprise quality" routers for home use. Most of us don't have enterprise at home, either.

I disagree with you about whether a good router is the best defense. The best defense is a good router with a firewall combined with antivirus software, a firewall that prevents unwanted programs from accessing the internet (which few routers do), anti-spyware and anti-virus software and not doing stupid things, like open attachment from people you don't know.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff