AC belt tightening

2000 Sienna LE 160,000 miles

The AC has been acting up where sometimes it cools and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't the AC light flashes. The system sometimes squeals when turning on or when accelerating from a stop.

I took it to the local mechanic yesterday and he said the belt needed tightening. They tested it by driving around for a while and said all is good. He told me Toyotas that old don't have a belt tensioner for the AC and are notorious for this problem. They have to be tightened occassionaly. I went back over my maintenance records and noticed the same fix was applied to the AC by a different shop last year.

This mechanic said the belts are affected by the local humidity, especially if it's dry one day and hot and humid the next like it usually is around here in SE VA.

Any thoughts on this?

Reply to
badgolferman

You didn't mention the motor. Four or Six? Plenty of cars out there without tensioners that don't need to be re-adjusted regularly. The dry/hot bs is exatly that. BS. Now, get it wet and it might slip more, sure.

Best thing to do is buy a new belt. If that one's slipped at all (and you've described slipping to a T), it's ruined and all the adjusting in the world is not going to make it better.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Gary Burnore's advice is right on. The flashing AC light is an indication that the RPM sensor on the compressor has detected a different speed from the engine RPM and that the AC control has disengaged the clutch to protect the compressor. Shutting off the engine and re-starting re-sets the flashing light.

If the belt has more than 60,000 miles, replace it. As the belt ages, it stretches more easily and becomes glazed and requires more frequent adjustment. Ray O

Reply to
Ray O