AC help for 2003 Corolla

I'm a rather new car owner in the desert southwest. I have recently bought a used Corolla (2003 SE). Now that things are heating up I've begun using my AC and noticed its really not very cold.

I'm wondering if there is something I should do (get a compressor check?) or if this make/model of car just doesn't have the juice to really cool it down. Also, if maintenance is needed, should I take it to a dealer or third party?

TIA,

-Trog

Reply to
rhettjay

First step would be verifying that the system has the proper charge of refrigerant. Not really a DIY type of thing.

Reply to
qslim

Thanks qslim,

Would using some place simple like Jiffy Lube be ok, or should I take this to the (expensive) dealer?

Reply to
Trog

Jiffy Lube probably isn't the place to go when you need a problem diagnosed. If you don't want to go to a dealer, call around and find an independent shop that does ac service. There isn't anything real special about the system on your car, so any decent technician will be able to service it.

Reply to
qslim

Unless under warranty I would take it to a good independent ac shop. They should be able to tell you if it cools enough. Be aware, it can take a bit before the ac gets the car really cold in the southwest on a hot day. It won't be instantly if your car has been baking in the hot sun all day. There should be a certain temp drop (difference between outside air and air coming into car). I am not sure how much that it but you can measure it yourself.

Reply to
RT