AC vent blowing chunks

The right passenger side AC vent in my 99 Camry started blowing out bits of black, very sticky foam-like material whenever the AC is on. They go all over the car, in my eyes, etc. I also saw a piece of the stuff about the size of a matchbook in behind the louvers of the vent. Even before the chunks started, the vent would whistle whenever it was closed with the AC running. I have the louvers pointed down & to the right to keep the chunks out of my eyes, but it's getting the door and seat all sticky. Any ideas what this is & how I can fix it? Is there a replacement part I need to get?

Reply to
redpenner

That's the foam insulation between the various duct components degrading. Eventually all the loose pieces will blow out. I'd just wait it out. You could disassemble the duct work and replace the foam, but that's more work than I'd want to do on an 18 year old car.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

2006 - 1999 = 18?
Reply to
Scott in Florida

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

Math never was one of my strong points .

Now I wonder why the foam is degrading after such a short time. Here in the Florida heat that problem doesn't usually show up for about 10 years.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I'm in Oklahoma heat/humidity, and though it's probably not as bad as Florida's that's the only cause I can think of for this. Only one vent out of the four is affected. Will the lack of foam in that one cause problems, or can I do without it?

Reply to
redpenner

I've never replaced any of mine (3 Toyotas over 15 years) and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Assuming the a/c in your car is still working its most likely junk the fan sucked in decomposing. Most the time that gets noticed as a noisy fan. If it has a filter check that.

If the air conditioning has quit cooling the car it could be oil from a refrigerant leak.

Reply to
Danny G.

How does the AC fan suck in junk?

How would the refrigerant oil turn into chunky foam-like material?

Reply to
Ray O

sucked in decomposing. Most the time that gets noticed

Same way it does air I guess. Or maybe were they park. All I know for sure is that its no fun getting it out of the blower section.

refrigerant leak.

Sorry I thought I deleated comment about oil. But I assumed that he is talking more about the problem (sticky stuff) than exactly what it was.

I can not really see a large volume of anything coming out of the vents unless it was sucked in by the fan or maybe fell in the inlet.

Reply to
Danny G.

Actually, most organic debris in the ventilation system is carried there by rodents. The OP was describing black foam, which is what is used to connect sections of the ductwork. Either the foam deteriorated or a rodent chewed it up.

I've never seen a fan suck any external debris into a car, but as I mentioned above, I've seen rodents carry it in.

Reply to
Ray O

sucked in decomposing. Most the time that gets

rodents. The OP was describing black foam, which is

deteriorated or a rodent chewed it up.

refrigerant leak.

above, I've seen rodents carry it in.

Wow, I guess its a location kind of thing Because I can not recall any rodent related stories like that. They must chew threw the grate I guess?

A dead mouse decomposing or getting sucked into the blower yuck.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

[snip]

rodents. The OP was describing black foam, which is

deteriorated or a rodent chewed it up.

mentioned above, I've seen rodents carry it in.

Actually, my in-laws, who live in a very rural area, do have enormous problems with rats/mice getting in under their vehicles, chewing up wiring, etc.; it's a huge problem there. But I'm in the city and have

5 cats on patrol, so I doubt there are rodents carrying anything into my car. The black gunk does look like some kind of foam insulation or filler, and as mentioned there was one loose matchbook-sized "sheet" of it visible, so I'm sure that's what it is. But I do wonder why the foam is coming apart, and why only in that one vent? Once the goo is gone, the only problem will remain that I can't shut off that vent without it making a lot of noise.

Thank you all for your help.

Reply to
redpenner

My theory is that the mice are either chewing through the grillwork or entering through the evaporator drain tube.

A dead mouse in the blower not only smells when it decomposes, but if it got chewed up by the blower...

Reply to
Ray O

Without actually looking at the car's ductwork, my guess is that the adhesive backing on the foam did not hold and it blew into the blower, which tore it up and distributed it throughout the ductwork.

Reply to
Ray O