Acronym quiz

Charles Pisano had a good point. The auto bidness is probably second only to the U.S. military for using obscure acronyms and abbreviations.

(Hint: Some acronyms and abbreviations are exclusive to Toyota, some are common in the auto industry) This is not a complete list, just what I could recall in a few minutes.

Without searching the web or using the factory service manual, do you remember what these stand for?

ABS AC AWD ACC BSV BTDC BVSV CBU ECT ECU EFI ESA FF FR FSM InHg KDU KPH LED LH MPH MR NAP NUMMI PIO POE PSI RH RPM SADS SAE SFI SPA SRS SSC SSM SST TCI TDC TEMS TMC TMS T-VIS TVSV VSV VVT VVT-I

Reply to
Ray O

Anti lock brakes

Air Conditionning

All wheel drive

Accessory

B.....Switching Valve

Before Top Dead Center

Had to replace it in my Supra!

???

Elec Cont. Trans

Engine (or electronic)Cont Unit

Electr. Fuel inj.

Nope...sorry...

Front Engine FWD

Front Eng RWD

Field Serv Man

Inches of HG (Hydrometer reading)

Kansas Depart. Utilities

Kilos Per Hour (NO, NOT what you can smoke!)

Light emitt. Diode

Left Hand

Miles per hour

Mister; formal greeting

Something kids and old people take

A company that TRIES to build Toyotas, but doesn't quite get it right...

Port Installed Option (thanks, Ray!)

Port of Entry

a pressure reading

Right Hand

RIPPEMS!! Important on a motorcycle, when you are letting it rip, and you have enough Rippems to go UP to gears, but go DOWN one instead!

Calls for Prozac

Society of Autom. Engin.

hmmmmm...single port FI?

Place to take a NAP!

Suppl. Restr. Sys.

Old car built by AMC?

Spec Serv Man.?

Another old car built by AMC? Spec Serv Tool

Hmmmm....

Top Dead Center

Something my Supra DOESN'T have! :( Something extremely expensive to repair! ;)

The Movie Channel

Just after PMS

Variable Induction System, or Let's get more fuel economy

Another Switch. Valve

Another Switch. Vavle

Variable Valve Timing

Hmmm...VVT + Injection???

Reply to
Hachiroku

Anyone familiar with the telephone industry would beg to differ on the second place award.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Or the Computer Industry!

PCMCIA: People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Some I knew, some I guessed (answer followed by ?), some I didn't know. And I did not look at the other responses either. :-)

ABS - anti-lock braking system AC - air conditioning AWD - all wheel drive ACC - accessory BSV - ? BTDC - before(?) top dead center BVSV - ? CBU - carburetor? ECT - ? ECU - electronic control unit EFI - electronic fuel injection ESA - ? FF - fast forward? FR - fast reverse? FSM - factory service manual? InHg - inches of mercury KDU - ? KPH - kilometers per hour LED - light emitting diode LH - left hand MPH - miles per hour MR - Mister? NAP - Snooze? NUMMI - Is this really an acronym? If so, I did not know that. PIO - ? POE - point of entry? Or is it port of entry? PSI - pounds per square inch RH - right hand RPM - revolutions per minute SADS - sad sack? SAE - self addressed envelope? No, that's SASE, stamped. Never mind. SFI - sequential fuel injection? SPA - ? SRS - supplemental restraint system SSC - ? SSM - ? SST - ? TCI - ? TDC - top dead center TEMS - ? TMC - ? TMS - ? T-VIS - ? TVSV - ? VSV - ? VVT - variable valve timing VVT-I - (intelligent) variable valve timing?

I didn't see these which I knew:

EGR - exhaust gas recirculation EPA - Environmental Protection Agency FORD - Found On the Road Dead -OR- Fixed Or Repaired Daily KIA - Killed In Action MAF - mass air flow MAP - manifold absolute pressure NHTSA - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration PCV - positive crankcase ventilation PFI - programmed fuel injection

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

F@ckin' Over Rated Dud?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Actually, my favourite is F@cked Over Rebuilt Dodge. :-)

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

"Ray O" wrote in news:970a9$43346149$44a4a10d$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com:

Did you do all that from memory?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

TWAIN (as used for scanners, etc): Technology Without An Interesting Name

;-)

noneyabusiness

LOL!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yup. Not bad for an old fart out of the business for the past 13 years huh?

Reply to
Ray O

I'm impressed! You got a lot right! A solid B+

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Ray O

Ya, dat's vat I meant!!!

Something like NUMMI?

What was *I* Smoking yesterday? "MR2"????

Um, like I said! ;)

So that's what that is!

Hey, between owning a Maru load of Toys, and reading everything I can about Toys, and having had access to TSRMs on and off for years, I should have done better!

I never ran across a BVSV until I got the Supra, since one nipple was broken. Seems to be common on this car...

Then again, a LOT of 'problems' seem to be common on this car...

Reply to
Hachiroku

90% :-) most except the 'old' Toyota ones
Reply to
Bo Yancey