Adding AUX-Input to 2003 Toyota Matrix CD/Radio (again)

I would like to add an AUX-Input to my 2003 Toyota Matrix's stock single- CD/Radio, and I cannot seem to find anything -- DYI or commercial -- to do it.

I see that the topic has been covered at least once in another thread; however, all the AUX Input 3rd-Party ads I see seem to indicate an exception for the 2003 Toyota Matrix, so I was wondering if there is even a reasonably-priced (or any) solution for that model, which I own?

I have the stock single CD player/AM/FM radio (the car's handbook says AN17019 near its picture), that has a CD/AUX switch, but no apparent AUX input.

Does anyone know if an AUX input already exists in this particular radio, and if so, where might I find it?

If not, is there a 3rd-party solution available? And what's the CD/AUX switch all about, then?

Any help is much appreciated.

JeffH

Reply to
JemH

I believe on this model there is an option for a CD OR an Aux, but I have been wrong once before. I think if you have the CD plugged in, that's it. The best thing to do would be to remove the radio and have a look. There may be another input back there.

I believe this is a Delco unit; a lot of the Matrixes ("Matrices"?) have Delco sound systems since they are built in Canada. Try contacting a Pontiac dealer and approach it as though it were a Vibe and see if it makes a difference.

This may also be the reason WHY the Matrix is the exception.

Reply to
Hachiroku

You might find it in the back. Just a thought ...

Have you bothered to pull the radio to see what is on the back?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in news:q7KdnWivxKxVxonZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ez2.net:

Thanks for the replies. No, I haven't opened it up, yet, primarily because it looks like a real chore, plus I've seen cautions about being extremely careful working around the airbags (one of which is just above and to the right of the radio).

I haven't yet found instructions on disassembling the dashboard around the radio, but was going to check for a shop manual that might show how to access that area. (I don't see any obvious screws holding the front in place.)

I wanted to make sure I had a reason to take it all apart, before I sallied forth.

Thanks,

JeffH

Reply to
JemH

Here are instructions for removing the trim around the radio:

I'm pretty sure that there is no aux input in the back of the radio.

Try crutchfield.com and see what they have. They are probably one of the most complete aftermarket audio suppliers - if Crutchfield doesn't have what you're looking for, it probably doesn't exist.

Reply to
Ray O

Here's a simple fix. Exchange with one from a Scion that has the AUX input. You may also exchange with a newer Toyota radio with the AUX input. Just make sure the plugs on the back of the radio are the same.

Reply to
Viperkiller

"Ray O" wrote in news:44d1$441662b6$180fead6$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com:

Thanks much, for both the document and URL.

JeffH

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

JemH

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O