Adding Yaris Side Airbags

So I stupidly wasn't paying attention when I bought my Yaris and it only contains the front airbags. I was wondering if it was possible/ feasible to have the side/curtain airbags installed and about how much that would cost.

Thanks!

Reply to
gtbrown

side airbags are about only as good as fast as the person hits you...

its not possible to have them installed in your car for a reasonable amount...

Reply to
GO Mavs

If you are willing to pay enough money, just about anything is possible, although it will be difficult to find a dealership or shop that is willing to take on the potential liability. My guess is that it will cost somewhere around $4,000 to $5,000 to have side/curtain airbags installed in a car that does not have them. It is probably less expensive to buy another car and take the hit on your car than it is to add the air bags.

Reply to
Ray O

To do everything one would need to do to retrofit side bags, from electronics to seats, would cost five thousand dollars, at a minimum, at Toyotas parts and labor prices

Do you actually believe that when somebody drives over you midget car, side air bags will make a difference? If safety was your primary objective you should have purchased a larger safer vehicle like and midsize SUV, an Avalon or better yet a Crown Vic, for your family

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Except that is not true at all. You come up with this argument all of the time. The fact is more people are going to smaller cars and that means there are more smaller cars on the road. Which means he is less likely to get pummeled by some gas hog like you who cannot tell what a red light is because hes reading the paper while pissing in the comode of his rv sized car...

Reply to
GO Mavs

Actually, they do. Cars with side airbags get better safety ratings and have occupants who are less likely to be seriously injured in a side-impact car.

Is the death rate of occupants less for these vehicles? If so, please prove it.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Lets just all agree that we're dead anyway and might as well ride motorcycles. Like my classic 84 Suzuki, which can be had on ebay right now, item # 300120456238. Who needs airbags when you can smoke anything on four wheels while wearing leather pants?

Reply to
qslim

*sigh*

Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

LOL! Shameless plug! SPAMMER!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

No car is safe if you are hit by a semi truck.

My advice would be to become a defensive driver....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

He is allowed....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

True but if I were hit by a semi, I would prefer to be driveling the best built vehicle, like a CV

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are entitled to you own opinion but as one who spent fifteen years designing crumple zones, of my thirty years as an automotive engineer, I will choose the larger safer SUVs and cars for myself and my family every time, over a small cars simply to save a relative few hundred dollars a year on fuel.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Search the Congressional Record. One reason the Congress has been reluctant to raise the CAFE standard was the increased death and injury rates in smaller cars over ten years ago.

The rate of injuries and deaths, among properly belted children, dropper dramatically as more of them were riding in the larger safer SUVs over the past ten years.

The fact is of all the millions of new cars sold in the US, only 8% will ever, in its lifetime, be involved in an accident sufficient to deploy the SRS. Only 2% of that 8% will ever be in an accident where the side SRS will be deployed. That is one reason they have not been required as standard equipment by the NHTSA

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You would still be dead.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

If thats the case then you should just buy an abrams tank... dumbass

Reply to
GO Mavs

Then why drive a Mustang and Zephyr and not a CV, GM or TC?

Reply to
Ray O

For once I have to agree with Mike. Outside of the possible rollover factor with high SUVs, I have to admit that they're a whole lot safer in collisions than tiny Yarises, Hyundai Accents, New Beetles, Honda Fits and other lightweights. You have greater weight, higher sitting position and everything else going for you with a sturdier structure. I saw a T-bone accident at an intersection several years ago, when a Dodge Minivan went into the side of a Buick Le Sabre. The Buick driver was shaken up but within a minute, he had slid across the seat and exited the passenger side, since his driver's door was stove into the car a foot. If he'd been driving a little car, his next ride would have been to the hospital or the morgue.

Reply to
mack