Aero Performance Exhaust

I was going by a muffler place, I think, on the corner of Kipling and Colfax in the Denver area today and saw big banners about increased fuel mileage with these things.

They look interesting, but two questions come to mind;

Are the fuel mileage increase claims accurate? Could I get a 3-4 MPG increase for example, in my 93 Corolla wagon?

And how much do they cost? Which goes into the factoring of how long it would take to make back the fuel savings.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

HOW MUCH?

Usually, the more HP you start with, the bigger the gain. Some people will say you won't realize any gain, others will.

The thing is to reduce back pressure feeding back to the engine and make 'breathing' easier.

Also remember, unless it has a lifetime warranty on *ALL* pieces, when it wears out in 2-3 years you'll be buying another one. The stock exhaust from Toyta is stainless steel and has a lifetime warranty on parts and labor.

If you couple this with with a cold air intake you increase the 'breathing' ability of the engine, and should get better mileage. I put an intake on my Tercel and actually got about 5 MPG more. Now, we'll wait for the people who say I didn't...

Reply to
Hachiroku

It is very unlikely that an aftermarket exhaust will make a measurable difference in fuel economy. In theory, reduced backpressure allows exhaust gas to flow more freely, but there are diminishing returns.

Aftermarket exhausts cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars installed to thousands of dollars. The stock exhaust on Toyotas is sized for the right balance between controlling exhaust noise and good performance and fuel economy, so it is unlikely that you will actually save any money by installing an aftermarket exhaust.

Reply to
Ray O

Why a cold air intake?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Thanks.

Seems like I'd be better off just going from the wagon to a similar year Corolla, which will get me 5 MPG right there.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Also in some areas modifying the factory installed exhaust is illegal. But I sure did like the sound that my El Camino had in the 60's with those "glass packs"!

Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron

Ray has it right Sara. In addition to what he says, you have to consider the catalytic converter. They are designed to operate within a certain temperature range and reducing the back pressure will cause the converter to run cooler, the exhaust gases will flow through the system faster and won't have enough time to heat up the converter.

Don't waste your money on this kind of thing. If it would make a difference in fuel economy, the manufacturers would already be using them. Remember they have to meet federal fleet mileage standards.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Of course not. They don't have to be accurate.

Yes, but not because of that muffler. Search for "hypermiling", but don't follow the advice of tailgating semi-trucks and turning off the engine downhill.

More than you'll ever save in gasoline by installing that muffler, which will be $0.00

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

What year is your Tercel?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Denver area.

Want for what? My 93 wagon? You mean there are people who want them?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

With regard to the CAI, interesting:

Sarah Houston

By the way, if you do this in the winter, won't the cold air make the mixture stay richer, getting you worse gas mileage?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Here in the Denver area, we have a daily temp change in the summer, of

30-40 degrees, and you know, I have noticed that the engine has more pep at night than during the heat of day. How interesting.

But would it convert to gas mileage?

Hmm, put a little swamp cooler on the air intake. :)

I had one in the garage years ago and when it was 100 degrees out, the humidity here gets so dry that the swamp cooler was blowing out 67 degree air.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

You know, this just reminded me of the gas crisis of the 70's, the arab oil embargo.

Back then, some people were also playing with water vapor injectors, which they claimed increased power and gas mileage. Does anyone still remember those, and whatever became of them?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Also, what about putting a 12V blower on the intake ( ahead of the air cleaner ), especially here at higher altitude, to increase the intake air pressure?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

More air makes the mixture leaner, not richer.

Reply to
Ray O

I remember those and several other "instant mileage boosters." They went away because they didn't work.

Reply to
Ray O

Ok, I understand it's a bit rare and perhaps collectible, but I doubt someone would give me more than about $2000 for it anyway, right?

It's not like someone would give me the price of a new Yaris or anything. :)

IOW, what's it worth to ya? :)

Convince me to part with it. :)

Reply to
Sarah Houston

What vehicle and CAI did you use?

That one I posted, it seems, is for the big muscle cars. They said it wouldn't even fit under my hood.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Yeah, they tried them, I don't know how successful they were either.

They atomized the water into the carb.

Sarah Houston