Aftermarket Alternator

I just purchased an aftermarket Stinger alternator for my 98 toyota 4 runner. It now installed however I still have to jump my truck off in the mornings to get to work. Can someone please shed alittle light on this subject for why I'm having this problem. I have a competition style style car stereo in my truck.

Reply to
peanut28001

I can't give a course on automotive charging systems but assuming the alternator was installed correctly and is charging the system, you either have a battery that's not holding a charge or you have something draining power when the ignition is off.

To check the first, a "quick and dirty" check is to measure the battery voltage across the terminals (ignition off). If you're getting anything less than 12.6 volts this might be an indication of a bad battery. To check the second, disconnect the battery negative terminal when you get home; see if the truck starts when you reconnect it in the morning. If so you can use an ammeter and pull fuses to isolate the problem circuit.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

You may get some guesses, but nobody can give you a definitive answer without more information or looking at the truck itself. You should check alternator output to see if it puts out at least 14 volts. If the battery was left in a discharged state for too long or if the battery is more than 5 years old, then the battery may need replacement.

Other possible causes are loose cables/ground, corrosion on the battery clamps, incorrect alternator, bad voltage regulator.

Reply to
Ray O