Airbag light blinking

Hello All,

I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla LE that has an orange, what appears to be, airbag light blinking on and off. The car just rolled over 52,000 miles. Is the light indicating an inspection is needed or is it an indication that the airbag system has failed? Also, is a trip to a mechanic necessary to reset it?

Thanks,

Jim Halbert

Reply to
jamesh832

That means that the air bag system is not working. You need to take it to a mechanic who is familiar with working on airbag systems (like your dealer).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Do you mean the "air bag" on or off light? Do you have anything of weight resting on the passenger seat? There is no inspection light for the system. If it is the air bag warning light in the instrument cluster and it is illuminating you need to take it to the dealer to verify a failure and repair the system if need be. That is a really important and potentially dangerous component that needs to be working as designed. IMHO.

Reply to
user

You say in your post "appears to be airbag light" the 99 corollas I suspect does not have the seat sensors for airbag yet, is it possible you see the overdrive blinking, just a hunch.

Reply to
EdV

I assume that you have had the car for a while and have not seen the airbag light blinking before. If it is the same one that illuminates briefly when starting the car, then the system has detected a fault in the airbag system and needs to be checked by a Toyota dealer.

Reply to
Ray O