Alarm comes on and I can;t turn it off and car won't start - no remote

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help.

I purchased a 1991 4runner and disconnected the battery today.

When I reconnected it the alarm comes on and I don't know how to turn it off.

I don't have a remote - I only have the key.

How do I turn off the alarm.

The car won't start b/c the alarm is on.

Thanks.

Ed

Reply to
fourfour2

See if there is a valet button mounted somewhere under the dash or driver's seat. Unlock the door with the key, put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON. Simply push the valet button and the alarm will disable.

Another option is to find the alarm computer and try removing the fuse and/or unplugging the connector. If that doesn't allow your engine to start you'll need to trace the wiring and figure out how the ignition disable feature is wired. If you post the make and model of the alarm system (most probably, Viper) someone here may be able to help you further.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

It looks like the most common alarm system for that year was the Rattler

300.

If this turns out to be the right system then this documentation should be all you need.

Posted and mailed.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Hi Travis,

Thanks.

There was a very tiny little switch left of the cutch pedal (it took some time to find) and I guess that was is the valet button and follwoing your instructions I seem to be back in business.!!!

a 1000 thanks to you.

Ed.

Reply to
fourfour2

You are very welcome.

See if you can verify the model number of the alarm. If it is a common system such as the Rattler or Viper you can get spare remotes on eBay for about $20 or less. They are programmed using the valet button and the instructions in the link I sent you. Then you'll have a fully functional alarm system.

Have a good day!

Reply to
Travis Jordan

"" wrote: > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > > When I reconnected it the alarm comes on and I don't know > how to turn > > it off. > >

what is your alarm system? if it is an aftermarket one it should be very easy to disable. for most of them you can just remove the ?brains? of the alarm and you will be set. while a factory installed alarm is a bit more difficult. you have to jump where the ignition is disabled, a wire placed on either side of the disable switch will do that. and the location of that can vary drasticly, but you should beable to find it with some looking. GL if you can find out brand and such let me know and I may beable to help more.

Reply to
xmirage2kx

The car THINKS it is being stolen, that's why it won't start.

You have to locate the controller for the security system and disable it. Because there are millions of different systems out there, there are millions of different things to do that will disable the system.

Reply to
J Strickland