Alignment question

How often car needs to be aligned? (I have Toyota Camry 98 V6 LE )

Should it be combined with oil change and tire rotation, or is needed less frequently?

Does any chain (or local garage in Chicago area) have a great "lifetime" alignment deal?

Reply to
Ajanta

It's needed less frequently. When you get it done, you need a four wheel computerized alignment only. It's the one thing I have done by the dealer. Apart from component wear, the only items that are really adjustable on the Camry are the tie rods in front and those adjustable links in the rear. There's really no reason they should move once set correctly. The struts are an integral part of the suspension geometry, so unless they wear, or the ball joints wear, alignment should stay good. Last time I noticed a very slight amount of drift something like 30,000 miles or more after an alignment, I paid something like $80 basically for nothing. The before and after printouts were essentially the same. In my experience slight variations in the tire sidewalls are more likely to cause a slight drift than alignment. The Camry is not like the old swing arm A frame with adjustment shims. As I've said there really are no adjustments available for caster and camber, only toe in and that should be stable.

Reply to
Daniel

- you notice abnormal tire wear

- the car pulls to one side when you take your hands off the wheel

- steering feels loose at high speeds, but normal at low speeds

- you get in an collision that bends the frame

- you disassemble suspension or steering components

- you've hit a bunch of curbs, potholes, or frost heaves

- you've driven over 25k in the northeast US (see item above)

Reply to
someone

Good post, but I would revise it a bit:

When: - you notice abnormal tire wear - the car pulls to one side when you take your hands off the wheel - steering feels loose at high speeds, but normal at low speeds - you get in an collision that bends the frame - you disassemble suspension or steering components - you've hit one curb, pothole, or frost heave

- you've driven over 5 miles in the northeast US (see item above)

Reply to
Dave C.

In theory, you could go through life never having an alignment. The problem is, theories quite often do not pan out. Your need for an alignment will have much to do with how often and how hard you like to hit curbs and pot holes. Of course, if you have major suspension work done, you could need an alignment to make sure that everything all went in the right places.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Having lived in the Northeast US I can confirm that one pothole can affect front end alignment enough to be immediately noticeable. Florida roads and weather are much easier on your car.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

And most of THAT in Massachusetts!

Reply to
hachiroku

The OP mentioned that he/she is in the Chicago area, my guess is the northwest suburbs or northwest side of Chicago. The condition of roads in the Chicago area are a close second to those in Massachusetts. Until our street was resurfaced last year, we had to drive over a bump almost as high as the rest of the curb to get into the driveway, and driving down alleys in Chicago is like driving on an unpaved road. We usually end up needing alignments about halfway through the life of a set of tires, about 25,000 miles.

Reply to
Ray O

: [Chicago area]...The condition of roads in : the Chicago area are a close second to those in Massachusetts. Until our : street was resurfaced last year, we had to drive over a bump almost as high : as the rest of the curb to get into the driveway, and driving down alleys in : Chicago is like driving on an unpaved road. We usually end up needing : alignments about halfway through the life of a set of tires, about 25,000 : miles.

We drive all over Chicago area and road quality is highly variable. mostly bad. Even 'premium' showcase roads like Lake Shore Drive are in such bad shape. The city spends a lot of $'s on trees and flowers but roads don't seem to be any priority.

BTW I was able to contact the previous owner of the car and know a little more: The front end was aligned about 40,000 miles ago when he got the Regata 2 the car has now. Maybe I would do the same, get alignment when I change the tires.

Reply to
Ajanta

: In theory, you could go through life never having an alignment. The problem : is, theories quite often do not pan out...

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different. :-)

Reply to
Ajanta

My '99 Camry does this. At highway speeds the steering feels loose but It doesn't pull to any side. There is no uneven tire wear either. Does this mean there is something wrong with steering or suspension?

Reply to
vktechmails

depends on how often you hit curbs, potholes, etc.

Reply to
JeB

front end alignment enough to be immediately noticeable. Florida roads and weather are much easier on your car.

If that's true, you need to buy a better-built vehicle!

I agree that a lot of rough-road driving WILL affect alignment eventually, but a single pothole?!? It would have to be severe enough to knock the tire off the rim and bend the rim to knock any of the vehicles I own out of alignment. In fact, I *have* bent a rim and then had the alignment checked and found it to still be spot-on.

In general, I like to have the alignment checked about every 50,000 miles, but it usually doesn't need adjusting unless a component (ball joint, bushing, etc) is really starting to deteriorate. I've found this to be true for both my 60's vintage torsion-bar / unequal-length A-arm front suspension cars and for my 90s vintage FWD McPherson strut vehicle.

Reply to
Steve

Exactly, sorta.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Someone mentioned Sears got a lifetime alignment package with them tires. Anyone know if it's worth it?

Reply to
bobb

After years of putting up with miserable roads and years of construction traffic, it finally seems like most of the roads that I travel most often have been repaved, i.e. Golf and Higgins Roads in Schaumburg, I 355, and I-90. I think Palatine Road will take a few years to complete, who knows when LSD will be done next?

Reply to
Ray O

Whenver it goes out of alignment, of course.

Sounds like someone is trying to sell you something you don't need.

Sears does.

Cars don't just go out of alignment unless something is worn or you damage part of your suspension. If you drive on smooth roads chances are you will not need an alignment until parts wear out.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Might mean the steering box needs adjustment...?

noneyabusiness

I've never seen anyone do that. It's probably a lifetime ROTATION. Firestone offers Lifetime alignment for about $130 or so. A friend with a Jeep Wrangler has it and makes use of it after every off road trip.

noneyabusiness

Maybe, if the Camry had a steering box and it was adjustable.

The Camry, like most modern cars, has rack and pinion steering. I think of a "steering box" as a recirculating ball type steering mechanism.

A steering rack itself is not really adjustable, other than the crush collar that determines loading on the rack. As the name implies, a crush collar does not adjust - once it is crushed, it is set.

Loose feeling at highway speeds might be caused by an out of alignment condition, not enough positive caster, or an improperly functioning power steering pump.

Reply to
Ray O