Alternate Fuel Cars

The price of corn and its derivative products, are already going way up.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Why do I keep reading about the Federal government running a deficit?

I was thinking in terms of the government simply giving people who buy alternate fuel cars $1,000. I got the idea from the proposal to give everyone $100 for gasoline!

Reply to
Tim Bruening

Which means that more corn will be planted!

Reply to
Tim Bruening

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Can we assume you skipped all of your economics 101 classes?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If you were a corn farmer and the price went way up, wouldn't logic dictate that you plant more corn so as to make more money?

Reply to
Tim Bruening

That's going to depend on what crop you've contracted. Most farmers today don't wait until next spring to decide what to plant, they sign contracts in the fall or early winter for the crop they'll harvest next fall. This commits them to a crop, an amount (number of bushels) and a price. The seed is also sold in the fall or early winter.

Jack

Reply to
Must be Me

To promote alternate fuel cars, I suggest a $1,000 rebate to everyone who buys such a car.

Reply to
Tim Bruening

I understand that the U.S. provides tax breaks to oil companies.

Reply to
Tim Bruening

I hate those alternate fuel cars. Monday you need petrol, next day you need diesel. Then back to petrol on Wednesday. It's bloody ridiculous.

-- Paul Rooney, Founder Member, New Demon.Local

"Rooney is one of these vandals and has done his utmost to help trash dl and the other groups which he regularly crossposts to. He's created a false FAQ and charter" - Chris Lawrence in uk.rec.walking "Also long time d.l. reader but never feel robust enough to post much, especially since Rooney wrecked the group." - Rachel Sullivan in uk.rec.walking "Low life scum doesn't even begin to describe you [Rooney]. You are the most loathsome individual ever to cross the threshold of d.l." - John Kaye in demon.local "Your continued posting here with an overlong sig perfectly demonstrates the sort of person you are and is entirely relevant to every other post you make in whatever newsgroup. You're a stupid, boorish, childish, little oik, with no manners, an over-inflated opinion of yourself and nothing that I can see to commend you to anyone...Now f*ck off out of this newsgroup once and for all" - Malcolm Ogilvie to Paul Rooney in demon.local "Those who indulge in chest-beating about how they always win seem to overlook the fact that the so-called sig-abusers always win, too. Usenet is like that. If such meaningless labels are to be pressed into service, then I would say that Paul [Rooney] has won. Not only by his undoubted stamina, but by the sustained grace, charm, and mischievous wit of his responses."

- James Follett, novelist (writing in the newsgroup demon.local)

Reply to
Paul {Hamilton Rooney}

Fat chance! The conventually powered cars are the only ones offering rebates. Alternatives are sold at a premium to those that think they can save the world. LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean there's one, courtesy of a failed American space probe, or somesuch military shenanigan. Shouldn't be too difficult to locate.

But who the hell drinks hydrogen?

Reply to
Paul {Hamilton Rooney}

I don't like alternative fuel vehicles much myself unless it is a BEV. I especially don't like E85 as to me from a math standpoint it roughly equates to buying a diesel car and for every gallon you put in the tank you throw another gallon on a huge bon fire behind the station. The same is true of hydrogen. I also don't like tax breaks as I think that the success or failure of a model should not depend on whether or not it is a partial write off when you buy it. Also the Prius is not an alternative fueled vehicle as it still uses good ol' 87 octane as its one and only source of energy.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

I suggest a $1,000 rebate from the government for alternate fuel cars!

Reply to
Tim Bruening

What the h--- is an alternative fuel car? Is that one of those things that run on corn juice or french fry grease?

Reply to
Retired VIP

But ADM supports public television!

Reply to