Alternator on a turbo

I don't go along with that, as electric motors have become very small to what they were -and they are getting smaller. An electric motor turning an a/c at constant speed will matters very different and a smaller motor to suit.

You also have to take into account that hose area a potential failure point. Motors are ultra reliable. The bearings fail before the electrical side in

90% plus of cases. Electric motors cost no more than mechanical pumps, especially when mass production comes in.
Reply to
Scribe

Audi has conformed the A1 e-tron will be made using the Wankel range extender.

GM did heavy Wankel research in the 1960-70s, saying they solved the fuel problem at the time - but not saying how. They have to start up the R&D again.

Toyota have been quiet on their future hybrids. They can't keep with the Prius setup.

Reply to
Scribe

A good site with links to up and coming EVs and range extenders, etc. It seem they are all going EV in some form.

Scribe

"Another 10% Increase in Engine Efficiency Possible? Coming across studies investigating thermo electric energy regeneration from waste energy in combustion engines, we wonder about potential implementations. The Thermoelectric Generator Module (TGM) has a typical electric output of 700-1000W in trucks and may charge the batteries or power compressors. It is said that spark ignition engines will profit more and apart from the exhaust heat, the water cooling system is another candidate for heat extraction source. The efficiency of he TGM was 5% in 1994 and has been increased to 7% in laboratories using skutterudite-based thermoelectric conversion material (source). In 2011 we may see the TGM in production according to GM and BSST researchers source. Of course cleaner exhaust as we see with natural gas will help keep the TGM working.

08/2008"
Reply to
Scribe

The Hyundai Sonata has a "smart alternator", doing what BMW were doing but no electrical clutch. I wonder if this can be a retrofit.

This advance harvests waste exhaust heat to produce electricity.
"]
Honda were looking at a Rankine cycle to use waste exhaust heat to make electricity.

Scribe