Amsoil is in fact API rated guys

AMSOIL has a documented history of innovation and leadership.

  • First to develop an API-rated 100 percent synthetic motor oil. * First to introduce the concept of "extended drain intervals" with a recommended 25,000-mile/1-year drain interval. * First U.S. company to utilize the NOACK volatility test as a standard of performance excellence. * First to produce synthetic motor oils for diesel engines, racing engines, turbo and marine engines. * First to introduce synthetic oils that legitimately contribute to improving fuel efficiency. * First to manufacture synthetic gear lube for automotive use. * First to manufacture a 100:1 pre-mix synthetic 2-cycle oil. * First to manufacture a synthetic automatic transmission fluid for automotive use.

So at the beginning of the month when you were asking about the best Synth. oil, this is it. Yes the price is a little higher ($2.00 a quart), but if you don't have to change the oil but every 15,000 miles, you're actually saving cash. And yes, the fuel mileage is better because there's less drag and friction on the engine parts. Go see for yourself; I don't sell it, I use it. So I know.

Reply to
techgirl

Wrong: MOTUL was first, in 1971, a year before Amsoil.

You left out "first to develop multi-level marketing scheme."

Prove it works better than other synthetic oils. Mobil 1 waited 3 more years so it could have a good product on the market.

Yeap, that's true for Mobil 1, too.

No, you don't. Show us the data to back your claims.

I don't know if Amsoil or Mobil1 or another synthetic is better. But you claims still don't show Amsoil is better.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Mobil says that their synthetic Mobil 1 doesn't improve fuel economy at all over their conventional oils. Why should Amsoil be any different?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I know I wanted something better than the oils that were out there. I did research on the product and found the stats and the info about the product.

Ohio State University uses it in a S.A.E. car that they run. Nerds with knowledge. That's where I'm going for my information. What do they have to gain.

I checked with other users and made sure that they didn't have a "Vested" interest in the sale of the product, just that it did what it said.

Please feel free to do as much research as I did before you explosively try to drown me out. As for the mileage increases, the research I did into it gave me the figures I needed to see.

I have never heard of Motul. Shoot me.

Personally, I wouldn't put Mobil1 in my lawn mower.

My data is a MB Diesel getting 33 MPG highway/ 27+ city. My money. Oh, that's with the A/C on doing 70 mph.

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
techgirl

What research? URLs, please.

Reply to
Jeff

Wrong. Mobel 1 doesn't say anything about fuel economy. This is Amsoil says: "AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils are fuel efficient oils formulated with friction modifiers to reduce energy loss from friction. They provide better fuel economy compared to conventional, non fuel-efficient motor oils." If you go into Walmart and walk down the oil aisle, you will see that virtually all of the motor oils save fuel. It is right on the label. This is required on all oils to get API motor certification.

There is nothing that I have seen that suggests that Amsoil is any better than conventional oil or Mobil 1 in fuel economy.

Reply to
Jeff

Here is what I think -

- Not all Amsoil products are API certified. The Amsoil product line that I know to be API certified, the XL7500 product line, isn't actually a true synthetic (in my opinion). It is a highly refined group III oil, like Castrol Syntec.

- There is no reason to believe that a particular synthetic oil of a given viscosity will be more fuel efficient that a given conventional of the same viscosity. Oil that receives the energy conserving rating are tested in a reference engine and the fuel economy is compared to the same engine running a synthetic oil of the same viscosity (a true synthetic oil, not something like Syntec). To get the energy conserving rating, a 5W30 oil must get 3% better mileage than the synthetic oil To be sure, the synthetic oil is formulated without special friction reducing additives.

- I don't know whether or not Amsoil's oils are better than other oils. I doubt it.. Amsoil doesn't own a refinery, so they are buying their base stock from other companies. They are also buying the additives from other companies. Amsoil is just a blender. Maybe they are picking a better bunch of ingredients, but I doubt it.

- I have yet to actually wear out an engine before I got tired of the vehicle for other reasons (I usually become terminally bored with a vehicle after 5 years and 100,000 to 150,000 miles or sometimes sooner). Unless the oil is going to adjust my attitude, why is spending 2 or 3 times as much per oil change going to make my life better? I have three farm tractors. One is 27 years old. Still ahs the original engine (including turbocharger). It has never gotten anything but conventional oil. Would tripling the cost of oil changes made it last longer? I doubt I'd live long enough to prove it.

- Amsoil corporate advertising is relatively restrained. They might not tell you everything and they sometimes make misleading suggestions, but I've never seen them tell an obvious lie. The individual distributors are not nearly as restrained and honesty sometimes gets lost in the hype.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Their suggestion that the oil is fuel saving compared to untreated oils is one misleading suggestion. All API certfied oils above a rating of SD or SE are fuel saving. And that is an old spec. We are now on SM or so. So to say that it is fuel saving when any other oil approved for modern engines is misleading.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

My Peugeot 307 2.0HDi (2001) gives 54Mpg highway and 45MPG in town, on dunno what type of oil. Might it not be better to change the car you drive to save money on fuel rather than get a couple of MPG gain by switching oils!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

They purchase their base stock from Mobil.

Reply to
Anonymous

These Amsoil spammers were run out of the Jeep NGs a long time ago...... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

The facts are as follows:

  1. Amsoil products, other than the XL-7500 line, cannot be API certified because the level of ZDDP exceeds the API limits which results in too much phosphorus. This is not in dispute, Amsoil stated this. See: "groups.google.com/groups?q=zdp+amsoil&hl=en&safe=off&rnum=1&ic=1&selm=3B02A3A8.185B25C7%40pinn.net"

From: "Selbrede, Byron" To: "' snipped-for-privacy@pinn.net'" Subject: RE: Technical Service Contact Form Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:18:15 -0500

"Actually it's the amount of phosphorus that is regulated-- but that is directly related to the amount of zinc that can be used as they are combined as zinc dithio phosphate (ZDP). This is only regulated in 2 viscosity grades, 5W30 and 10W30. Other than the Series 7500, AMSOIL lubes all contain more ZDP than can be used in an API licensed oil. For examples of our ZDP levels refer to data sheets for AMO, ARO, AMF or AMV."

  1. The API limit on the amount of ZDDP was put in place because the phosphorus in the ZDDP shortens the life of the catalytic converter; the more ZDDP the shorter the life of the catalytic converter.

"

" "
" scroll down to "Antiwear-EP" The only site I found that argued that this was not true was an Amsoil dealer's site (not the corporate Amsoil site).

  1. There are many synthetic oils, including one from Amsoil, that meet the strict API certification requirements. See:

  1. The high level of ZDDP in the Amsoil non-API certified oil (and some other non-certified oils) provides better wear protection than the API certified oils with the lower level of ZDDP. So it would make sense to use these non-API certified oils in vehicles without catalytic converters, in fact this is recommended. Read:

"

" which talks about how motorcycles are better off using an oil with a higher level of phosphorus than is allowable in the API certified oils.

  1. The use of an oil that does not meet the API standards, could cause a manufacturer to deny warranty coverage on items affected by the oil. Amsoil stated:

"Major auto manufacturers and regulatory agencies have determined that warranties must cover all equipment failures unless they were directly caused by the aftermarket product in question or by the maintenance practice in question."

"

" Logically, since using an oil with too high a level of phosphorus is a maintenance practice and product that can directly cause a catalytic converter's life to be shortened, this qualifies as something that a manufacturer could deny warranty coverage over.

Of course by the time the catalytic converter fails, even with a high ZDDP oil, it will most likely be out of warranty anyway. Does Amsoil cover premature failure of a vehicle's components that occur out of warranty? If so, how do they determine how much of the failure is due to the oil and how much is due to normal wear that would have occurred anyway?

  1. The response I got from Amsoil about this matter was:

"We have never received a complaint of premature converter failure." Well geez, I guess that proves that the API limits on ZDDP were put in place for no reason at all!

So the absence of complaints proves that the high phosphorus level doesn't do what the API says it does?!

Amsoil's response is inadequate for several reasons:

i. The whole reason that API put the ZDDP limit in place was because too much phosphorus (a component of ZDDP) shortens the life of the catalytic converter.

ii. Until an Amsoil rep let the real reason for non-certification slip out, no one who was using Amsoil would have the slightest reason to even suspect that an early catalytic converter failure could be affected by the type of motor oil.

iii. Until an Amsoil rep let the real reason for non-certification slip out there were all sorts of bizarre reasons for the non-certification being put forward by Amsoil and its dealers. Now we know the real reason, and IMVAIO Amsoil made a BIG mistake in not just stating the real reason several years ago and promoting its API certified line for vehicles with catalytic converters. They looked extremely foolish by posting all those bizarre and weak excuses.

  1. Some people may actually decide that shortening the life of the catalytic converter is worth the extra wear protection gained from oils with a higher level of ZDDP. These people can use the Amsoil or one of the petroleum based oils that have a higher ZDDP level and hence are not API certified.

I can't imagine the upside of Amsoil not simply doing some product differentiation between their products for newer vehicles and their products for jet skis, boats, and older cars. They could turn the whole API thing to their advantage and proclaim the benefit of the higher ZDDP level on their non-XL-7500 line, and correctly claim that most of their competitors don't have a synthetic with this extra level of protection. And get this--it would actually be true! Of course they don't have to say that there are plenty of specialty non-synthetics without API certification that also have the higher ZDDP levels.

I suspect that Redline synthetics fall into the same category of "too much ZDDP for API certification" as Amsoil. But since Redline does not sell via multi-level marketing they do not have the reputation problem that Amsoil has and hence do not invite scrutiny. I don't see any indication of API certification on the Redline web site.

Reply to
SMS

Which Amsoil product(s) carries the following approvals?

GM-4718M GM-6094M Ford WSS-M2C929-A Ford WSS-M2C930-A Chrysler MS-6395 ACEA A1, A3, B1, B3, B4 VW 502.00, 503.01, 505.00 etc. Mercedes Benz 229.5 etc. BMW Long Life 01 etc, etc, etc.....

Pretty much everything listed on the Amsoil web site is only listed as "recommended." "Recommended" does not mean "approved." "Recommended" means 'spend your money here fool.' "Meets or exceeds" does not mean "approved."

If it isn't "approved" the oil doesn't meet the recommendations of the OEM.

Reply to
aarcuda69062