antenna

Is it possible to replace the steel part of the Corolla radio antenna without removing the wiring?

I have a good used antenna. When removing it at the wreckers I had to disassemble most of the scrap car's dash, in order to un-thread and take out the wiring. If I could separate the steel rod ftom the plastic mounting block (at the pilar) I would save a lot of installation work.

Your expert comments are invited,

- Jack

Reply to
Ralph

You don't mention what's broken or missing on your car. The mast itself unscrews from the base. It sounds like you need the other part.

You also don't mention what year or model (even though it's a "Corolla", there were different models in the 80's and 90's). Is it a Roof mount antenna, a pillar mount, or a fender mount? Makes a difference. The worst part is making sure the antenna is grounded properly; if it's not, FM range won't be very far, and AM will suck (worse than it does!)

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

Assuming that the "steel part" of the antenna you are referring to is the antenna mast and the "wiring" is the coaxial cable and assuming that you have the antenna that is mounted in the A-pillar, then you should be able to change the mast and coaxial cable without having to disassemble most of the dashboard. Unplug the RCA connection of the old antenna from the back of the radio, securely fasten some string to the end of the old coax with many winds of tape, then pull the old mast and coax out. When the string shows up where the mast is mounted, attach the string to the replacement antenna coax and pull the string to get the coax back to the back of the radio. Depending on what year and model, the job should not take more than 10 ~ 15 minutes.

Your other alternative is to cut the coax and put connectors on the coax. You will have to get male and female connectors, and IMO, that connection may degrade the signal from the antenna as well as possibly causing rattles.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, it's the mast that snapped. The Corolla is a 1992 LE and the antenna is in the front driver's pillar.

The coax on the 'donor' wreck was routed high up and toward the cowl, under the dash. After I unplugged it from the radio, it would not pull free. As I incrementally removed more and more of the dash at the wreckers, feesding the coax along, it was still sticking right up to the point where it was finally disappearing into the base of the pillar (in the driver's foot well area).

I am worried that I will need to take apart my whole car to replace this! I am going to attempt the string trick Ray O. Perhaps as a 'fish' I will use some re-bar wire I have here, which won't cut itself on steel corners. Reception is so bad now it won't make any difference.

This is why people use coathangers!!

I wish that I couyld just slide a new mast into the plastic mount at the pillar.

Thanks again,

Jack

Reply to
Ralph

You're welcome and good luck! BTW, when you tape the string to the coax, be generous with electrical tape on the junction so that it doesn't snag.

Reply to
Ray O

Have you pulled the old one out of your car yet?!?!

If not, get a piece of wire or, pull the old antenna out of the pliiar, and cut the wire. Get some GOOD electrical tape and tape the end of the new antenna to the cut end of the old antenna. GENTLY!!! pull the old wire from inside the car, making sure not to detach the new wire from the old one. It should pull right through. You may want to wrap a wire from the old one to the new one and then join it together with electrical tape.

It wull bind at some point, but just keep pulling GENTLY and it will pull through.

Use a star washer on the screws of the new antenna, or it won't ground properly.

Reply to
Hachiroku