anti-theft radio lockout

I have a 1990 Toyota Supra that was purchased new by my brother who lived in CA. Upon his death, I brought the car to Balto and garaged it for six years. My husband set it up with a tickle charger but the battery still went dead several times.

Each time the battery dies, the radio becomes "locked". Since I did not have the code, I purchased one online. The directions stated that I had only about (5) tries before I would hit a complete "meltdown." During my attempts to activate the radio (each failed due to my incompetance), I finally exceeded the number of "allowable" attempts and I become truly "locked out". Apparently this was the forwarned "meltdown" and the radio went totally dead. (This is explained in the manual that came with the car.)

I have taken the car to (3) Toyota dealers and have been told that the radio was not getting power; it IS; that the speakers need to be replaced (they DON'T).

I do KNOW that most of the local service techs are not familiar with anti-lock radio systems of this type. It's like talking to them about an 8 Track Player. (before your time!).

Has anyone ever had this problem (besides a car thief?)

Would appreciate any input! I would like to keep the original equipment and I would also like to listen to the radio!!

Many thanks, Lois Calzone Frederick, MD

Reply to
Rocky

The radio has inputs for power. 1 is for the radio itself to work and 1 is to maintain the radio presets and for the anti-theft feature. It is possible for the radio to work and still not have the part of the radio that maintains power for the anti-theft feature to work.

If 3 different Toyota dealers independently came up with the same diagnosis, I'd suspect that the diagnosis is correct.

There is a place called United Audio in New York that can repair the radio if the problem is with the radio and not with the power feed.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Wolfgang